PLM Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PLM Pro

The serial PLM is the most important Insteon device in my system. I would love a higher end version of this vital module. I would be willing to pay 3-4X more for it.

Feature requests include:

1. Switch to turn off RF communication
    2. Switch to turn off Power Line communication
    3. External antenna included or optional
    4. Increased link storage capacity
    5. Increased robustness. They seem too delicate to be the backbone of my system based on user reviews and personal experience.
    6. Field upgradable firmware

Number 1 and 2 allow for additional troubleshooting options. But just as important, it allows for the PLM to be in a quiet environment for certain advanced operations by turning off both 1 and 2. I use an ISY and counting links in the PLM is difficult for me. I have thermostats and motion detectors that communicate often and that can make link counts troublesome. Also, restoring a PLM is difficult for me because of the constant communication from many many devices. It is tough for me to obtain a quiet Insteon environment for the long periods of time some of these operations consume.

Edit: Hi guys, thanks for all the comments and likes. I think I am going to edit my original post to include some of your feature requests so that the whole thread does not have to be scoured to see what the community is thinking.
    Last edited by Illusion; 01-10-2017, 08:25 AM.

I would like to add that moving forward this device be field upgradable in terms of firmware. Reliability, QA must be at the for front for this new device.
    Teken . . .

Comment

OK, I'll bite: what is PLM

Comment

Insteon Power Line Modem
        Present models 2413S Serial or 2413U USB.

Comment

Making the PLM send and receive signal levels adjustable would be fantastic.

Comment

I thought it was possible to turn off RF with the ISY??

Comment

You can turn off writes to battery powered devices, you cannot stop the PLM from receiving RF communications

Comment

Originally posted by Teken View Post
                I would like to add that moving forward this device be field upgradable in terms of firmware. Reliability, QA must be at the for front for this new device.
                I think this is a great idea. Of course if it cost $$$ more and is considered "Pro" is should be field firmware upgradeable!!

Comment

Originally posted by Illusion View Post

I think this is a great idea. Of course if it cost $$$ more and is considered "Pro" is should be field firmware upgradeable!!
                  Yes, I just wanted to affirm that aspect though. There is absolutely no reason in 2014 that a device can not be field up gradable. This saves the company money and down time. Increases customer satisfaction because a unit does not have to be sent back or replaced just because there is a bug in the firmware.

The famous ALL ON issue is a perfect example of this!

I understand the company has gone back to old (existing) firmware where the ALL ON problem did not exist is being pushed back on to the market to solve this on going problem.
                  Teken . . .

Comment

I too would be in for a PLM pro but I also agree that is Insteon is going to stay (or go) mainstream the current PLM situation needs to be worked out. Over the years I have been willing to take various small firmware bugs in newer devices as par for the course. Still some do surprise me that they are out there. However this ALL ON business with the PLM in the last 2 years is way out of bounds.

Tons of documentation here on mysetup if anyone needs it on the ALL ON problem with current PLMs
                    Page 1 of 5 - Random All On Event - posted in Current Release, Betas, and Bug Reports: Today all of my insteon devices turned on simultaneously (including my garage door opening). I dont have any programs that include all of my devices so I am unsure what caused it. I would think it was something random but it happened a few weeks ago too. I have an ISY994 and am running 4.0.3. Has anyone else had this happen or have any thoughts?

Comment

support international devices would be great as we don't have PLM for 220V/50HZ devices

Comment

Originally posted by midrange View Post
                        support international devices would be great as we don't have PLM for 220V/50HZ devices
                        A International PLM is already being tested for our UK brothers in arms. Hang tight it should be released by years end or early 2015.
                        Teken . . .

Comment

Any update on an 240v 50Hz PLM?

Comment

any news on 240v?

Comment

Still no word on the formal release of the UDI's PLM as they are still waiting for Smartlabs to sell them the Insteon chips. They have also been waiting for Smartlabs to resolve the ALL ON / ALL OFF issue which a small population have been experiencing with the current hardware 2 PLM.

Perhaps by 2015 years end??
                              Teken . . .

Comment

Working...
                              X