No announcement yet.

PLM Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The ALL ON command has been deleted from currently shipping devices.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

I wanted to bring this product idea back to the very top as current hardware revisions 2.1 continue to fail. There was development on a third party PLM from UDI several years ago and it was said this device was simply waiting for Smartlabs to offer the following.

1. Sell the PLM chips to UDI.
      2. Allow them to flash the PLM chip if and when needed on site.

Many years have since past and there has been no word from either Smartlabs or UDI regarding a International PLM which would allow others to enjoy the use of the ISY Series Controller.

One has to beg to ask the question as to why?!?!

From a business stand point offering a International and universal PLM which supports all regions of frequency / voltages would only help expand the reach and adoption of the Insteon hardware and platform. 2017 is fast approaching and I implore the powers that be to push forward and release a PLM that supports the above.

If that isn't something that will be considered at least stop blocking UDI from offering the very same. I've watched Insteon being surpassed by so many other protocols of the likes of Z-Wave / ZigBee in terms of being adopted by every market segment. In my eyes Insteon continues to be the superior home automation protocol given its dual band attributes.

But none of this matters because there isn't the same amount of hardware made available to all markets in the world. We all know certification takes time but there is no way it takes 3-4 years that's just impossible given the fact there are companies that do this very job to help companies obtain certification for those countries!

Insteon offers so many great products to many of us in North America.

Why would you limit your sales growth, potential, and adoption to such a small market segment?!?!

Joe Dadda: Lets make 2017 the year Insteon leads the market in all aspects. Show everyone Insteon continues to innovate and offers the most value in terms of features, price, and options. Lastly, encourage Insteon product adoption by helping Universal Devices Inc (UDI) release their very own 2413S PLM in hopes of offering superior Home Automation control to world regions.

Help those, who can help you . . .
      Want to make a real difference? Please cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-...t/8221-plm-pro

Comment

FYI, if anyone just joined to vote on these items and none of the buttons work, you have to send the admin an email to "activate" your account before you can vote. Don't waste 1.5 hours like I did trying to get things to work. Just send the email via the "contact us" button below.

Comment

Originally posted by LFMc View Post
          FYI, if anyone just joined to vote on these items and none of the buttons work, you have to send the admin an email to "activate" your account before you can vote. Don't waste 1.5 hours like I did trying to get things to work. Just send the email via the "contact us" button below.
          Leon,

I personally thank you for taking the time and effort and pushing through 1.5 hours to cast your vote. Its people like you that make all the difference in the world!

Thank You!
          Want to make a real difference? Please cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-...t/8221-plm-pro

Comment

I'm going to add another voice to this. I've essentially maxed out my Insteon system, because of the PLM link limitations. I have 925 links in my PLM and now I'm close to the point of it simply failing to do what I need from it.

My house is 3000 SF, I have 19 6 or 8 button keypads and maybe 25 or so Switchlincs, some remotes, outdoor modules and a bunch of link sensors. I've bought in. And I've maxed it out. And I have, or had, ideas for more scenes yet. So I'm stuffed.

I need a better PLM. I need more links, stronger features, more reliability (finding stale links and purging), or I'm stuck. PLM's that fail every two years and can't host more than 980 or so links aren't really proof of this being a scalable system.

I need something better, and I too am happy to pay for it. I've paid enough, if I tell my wife now I'm backing out and changing for something else she's going to kill me.

Comment

grtaylor,

Thank you for taking the time to cast your vote and share your reply of how a PLM Pro can benefit you.

Comment

I think all the features I mentioned are important, but the link limit of the current offering is the most befuddling to me. I am an early adopter of Insteon. I am a fan of Insteon. I am a serious consumer of Insteon. But I have not been able to buy or add to my system for years now due to the PLM link limit.

Home automation is one of my few hobbies, and for years now I have had to focus my efforts on existing device upgrades and network integration because any grand expansion plans I come up with are brought to a halt by the PLM link limit. I am simply not going to add an Insteon device to my system if it cannot be managed, viewed, and controlled by my ISY. Period.

As a result, Smarthome has lost out on thousands of dollars of my money over the last years. While buying a more expensive PLM Pro would be my first purchase, should it exist, it would quickly lead to a renewed Insteon product buying spree. The PLM link limit makes large home and light commercial installations very restricted. I would think this is one of the most lucrative markets for user installed/configurable automation systems. It seems crazy to let these markets look to other solutions over a single specification of a single device like the PLM.

Comment

Originally posted by Illusion View Post
                  I think all the features I mentioned are important, but the link limit of the current offering is the most befuddling to me. I am an early adopter of Insteon. I am a fan of Insteon. I am a serious consumer of Insteon. But I have not been able to buy or add to my system for years now due to the PLM link limit.

Home automation is one of my few hobbies, and for years now I have had to focus my efforts on existing device upgrades and network integration because any grand expansion plans I come up with are brought to a halt by the PLM link limit. I am simply not going to add an Insteon device to my system if it cannot be managed, viewed, and controlled by my ISY. Period.

As a result, Smarthome has lost out on thousands of dollars of my money over the last years. While buying a more expensive PLM Pro would be my first purchase, should it exist, it would quickly lead to a renewed Insteon product buying spree. The PLM link limit makes large home and light commercial installations very restricted. I would think this is one of the most lucrative markets for user installed/configurable automation systems. It seems crazy to let these markets look to other solutions over a single specification of a single device like the PLM.
                  Agreed, if Smartlabs wants Insteon to be adopted and used in large installations and light commercial venues the link limit needs to be increased to say 3500 - 6000. In 2017 no one can say memory isn't cheap or available for use in any electronic product. As I noted in another thread the PLM Pro should offer real world diagnostics from hop count, round robin, TX / RX error, packet collisions, etc.

Also, the engineers should really consider incorporating other protocols and connectivity: WiFi, BLE, Z-Wave, ZigBee

Offering a bridge product will keep the door open for those already invested in other home automation products.

Comment

I agree that a PLM Pro is needed and it should:

1. Be upgradable
                    2. Utilize WiFi (and other current popular protocols/connectivity).
                    3. Have built in protection from unauthorized external access.
                    4. Provide a way that other Pro-Level devices to can be plugged in to the PLM Pro in order to easily and externally add additional protocols, connectivity,
                    and functions - including the related firmware/software upgrades for those not currently "discovered".
                    5. Have robust line protection from both the electrical system, ISY, and for/from the plug-in devices I mentioned above.
                    6. Have a minimum 5 year warranty.

IMHO - Smartlabs needs to do this and more if it wants to stay in business long term (especially for the PLM -- I'm on my 3rd one). In addition their other devices have failed for me too often and they should be evaluating ALL of their products to see what cost-effective improvements could be made to improve their reliability and longevity. Perhaps a low cost improvement could have increased the life of my now defunct SwitchLincs, IoLincs, and PLMs (5 or more of these). As mentioned before they have lost some of my business because of their seeming lack of concern and short warranties. My non-automated switches, outlets, and other similar products have lasted for years and years and since I'm already paying much more for the automated Smartlabs products, I have a similar expectation for them. Reliability and functional flexibility would go a LONG LONG way toward Smartlabs marketing themselves as a customer focused business...and would increase my (an presumably others') business.

Steve

Comment

Steve,

Great feedback and much thanks for casting your vote.

Comment

More than two years have passed. So, I'll vote twice
                        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

Originally posted by stusviews View Post
                          More than two years have passed. So, I'll vote twice
                          As always, thank you for your continued support!

Comment

I would second this suggestion. (I'll avoid the reference to "missing link" humor) Having a more robust interface would help with reliability and reputation.

Comment

cant believe there's still no PLM for 220v .... things are changing fast in the home automation world, Insteon will soon become extinct ...

Comment

Although I agree that a 222v PLM will be a great addition, considering that virtually all of North and South America as well as pockets around the world, I don't believe that not having a 220v PLM will be the end of Insteon

Comment

Working...
                                X