Light sensors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Light sensors

Back in the X10 days, you could (technically, you still can) buy a combination motion and light sensor for under $20. With many control programs, you could then use the light sensor alone as a trigger for a scene. So, for example, if it got dark out earlier than anticipated because of weather, you could turn on a few lights or even start the Sunset scene before it was time.

I'd very much like to see a similar type of device. If it had variable light sensitivity, it could also be used to do things like control blinds or ambient lighting.
    Last edited by rgunther; 07-07-2015, 03:28 PM. Reason: Posted draft before it was complete.

You can still do that using any standard combination motion & light sensor connected to the sense #1 wire of a Micro Module. I'm doing that in a few places using Lutron devices.

BTW, I don't recall any X10 combination motion & light sensor/switch.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Originally posted by stusviews View Post
      BTW, I don't recall any X10 combination motion & light sensor/switch.
      The X10 ActiveEye (http://www.amazon.com/X10-MS16A-Acti.../dp/B000NJBRNW) has a dusk/dawn sensor that can be monitored separately. I used these for years.

Comment

Originally posted by stusviews View Post
        You can still do that using any standard combination motion & light sensor connected to the sense #1 wire of a Micro Module. I'm doing that in a few places using Lutron devices.
        I thought about this a bit more after a recent response that I could build my own tilt sensor with parts from Amazon. But here's the thing: I don't want to have to build these myself out of components that require assembly, and possibly soldering and some sort of enclosure. I just want to buy devices that work. And if Insteon expects to more broadly gain consumer adoption, they need to start thinking that way. Third party sensors and contact closure interfaces aren't going to cut it.

Don't get me wrong—I've been using Insteon since the start, with over 50 devices in my home. I love some of the additions like the hidden door sensor, leak sensor, etc. But the fact that you can "build your own" other devices shouldn't bump those devices from their product backlog.

Comment

http://www.smarthome.com/insteon-284...on-sensor.html
          Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

I'm using a couple of the Insteon motion sensors for scenes based on occupancy. They work well, but I'm not aware of any control software that can use these to trigger based on the dusk/dawn sensor, are you?

Comment

HL was able to and the ISY can respond to the dusk/dawn sensor, so I'd be surprised if other software could not. What are you using?

Comment

Right now I've "downgraded" to Insteon's own hub formerly known as the Hub 2. I'll likely be standing up some additional software using my old hub as a PLM so I have more capabilities than Insteon's own software affords.

Comment

Working...
                X