Garage Door left open warning text or email

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garage Door left open warning text or email

Garage door left open warning. I always see my elderly neighbor leaving her garage door open. It would be convenient to have, as part of the garage door device app, the ability to send a warning when a preset timer elapses after opening up the garage.
    Share Science - Share Knowledge - Share Kindness

There are already many ways to handle garage door monitoring.
    Insteon has the Garage IOLinc kit which is the most popular way.
    I've actually created a much simpler option using the Open/Close sensor and gravity

1. I stuck the base unit of the Open/Close sensor on the garage door.
    2. I stuck the magnetic part onto a 3M command strip "flap", the part that isn't sticky, (see photo) by only removing a section of the film that covers the magnetic sticky backing.
    3. I stuck the main 3m command strip on the garage next to the base unit in a way that lets the magnet "hang" next to the base unit so that while the door is closed, the sensor and the magnet line up.
    4. When the door opens, gravity bends the flap and dangles the magnet causing the switch the separate, sending the "ON" command.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwBfmoko6lU

No wires, No fuss and it's nice and hidden in the corner of the door. It was the closest I could get to Z-Waves Tilt sensor
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Last edited by dsstrainer; 04-20-2015, 10:07 AM.

Comment

If you just want a message when the garage door opes, then you can use a magnetic switch I/O Linc (included in the kit) or an Open/Close sensor to send the message.

OTOH, if you want a delay before sending the message, then you'll need software or an ISY.
      Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
      Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Working...
      X