No announcement yet.

IFTTT Channel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now if insteon could give us keypad buttons with strinify , that would be the bomb

Comment

I happen to be an ISY user, having moved there from a hub quite a while ago. If you are planning to move further into home automation, I strongly recommend the ISY. I have never dealt with a company as responsive to their customers and progressive in their thinking as UDI. Just recently I had difficulty accessing a remotely located ISY. A principal of the company remoted in to that ISY and spent a couple hours sorting out my problem which, I might add, was unrelated to my ISY. Cost? Nothing! Their user forum is equally amazing. I have received help there on many occasions from developing complex programs to learning of new technologies. The hardware itself has proven, thus far, to be rock solid. I love most of my Insteon devices but I owe it to the ISY to get the most from them.

Comment

5 years later and still no IFTTT. I guess it's not going to happen. Not looking forward to ripping out all the automation I just put in when SmartLabs closes up shop due to stubborn, outdated, proprietary thinking. Oh well, I will enjoy it while it lasts.

Comment

I’d be sorry to see Insteon go. I was excited a few years ago to see components in Best Buy and even Home Depot, but they disappeared after a few months.

Basic infrastructure compatibility like IFTTT keeps the user base energized and would keep SmartHome in the public eye. How long have we been waiting for a new iOS app? I guess the commitment just isn’t there. It’s a shame because the tech is sound. I’ve wired my last 3 homes with Insteon but I would probably go a different way today.

Comment

Complaining about the hub and Ifttt is a waste of time. There are a multitude of controllers that offer so much more. Yes they cost more but you get what you pay for. IFTTT has some good benefits but it's not the end all to things. Its good for complimenting an automation system but a very poor substitution for one.
            ​​​​

Comment

I know this is a WAY old thread, but anyone still looking for external integration with Insteon may find that Yonomi could work for them. And these days, Alexa routines can also do a lot here. The difference with Yonomi, though, is they enable the ability to trigger a third-party action from an Insteon event (e.g., sensors). Even Google Home is a little helpful, but you still can only trigger things by voice command and time/solar events (and why do that vs. Insteon's own schedules?).

Comment

The lack of software support for Insteon devices is amazing. I still have not heard anything about the new app for android and ios. Last I heard was public beta. Still is a bit clunky IMHO.

I've often recommended they go open source. Smarthome seems to prefer selling hardware, so it would be a good match. I'm not sure they understand how open source works (there still is someone in control of releases).

I use HCA to do anything complicated. I run it on an old laptop as a server and it does a pretty good job. However it is not for the faint of heart. If I sell this house, I would no way leave HCA for the new owner to figure out. Same with ISY. The smart home app is simple enough, works somewhat with Alexa, but is rock steady. The whole thing is just messy.

Comment

I miss Stringify so hard. Yonomi is fine for some simple automation but limited in what it supports. I'm trying to tie my Ring doorbell to Insteon devices (it's almost Halloween, so yeah!) and it's just not possible as Ring works with IFTTT but Insteon only works with Yonomi. Luckily, Ring supports web hooks (manually calling URLs) so that's the route I'm going to take, but it's just ugly as hell. Sure, Insteon has an API, but since it requires an oAuth conversation, and that's not feasible for the webhook integration.

So, anyhow, I still think IFTTT integration would be a great addition for the Insteon Hub (yes, this clarification is important since ISY already has it).

See this old post to see how to do it with raw (yes, unsecure) URL calls:
                  https://forum.insteon.com/index.php?...security-query
                  Hub: Hub 2 (39:35:10) | Phones: Samsung Galaxy S7 (Android 8.0) | Insteon devices: 25+

Comment

OK, fine, I'll write up a quick how-to on this.

Example URL to turn on a light to full brightness:
                    http://dude:somethingsecure@192.168....BBCC0F11FF=I=3

Usage:
                    Code:
                    http://un:pw@hub.ip:hub-port/3?0262XXXXXX0F11FF=I=3

You'll need the following (all of which can be found in the Insteon for Hub app):
                    un: Your hub's defined username
                    pw: Your hub's defined password
                    hub.ip: Your hub's IP address (or DNS name if you're cool and set one up)
                    hub-port: Your hub's TCP port

To break down the call (after the forward slash, spaces added for visibility, but shouldn't be in the URL):
                    Code:
                    3?0262 XXXXXX 0F 11 FF =I=3
                    Prefix: 3?0262 (always the same thing, required)
                    Device ID: XXXXXX (can also be a Scene, get IDs in Insteon app)
                    Separator: 0F (always the same thing, required)
                    Command: 11 (turn on)
                    Command Details: FF (full brightness)
                    Suffix: =I=3 (always the same thing, required)

Useful commands:
                    Command Code
                    Turn on 11
                    Turn on fast 12
                    Turn off 13
                    Turn off fast 14
                    If you want to know all the commands, there are some ancient PDFs floating around out there with names like "Insteon Command Tables 2007..."

Or just check out this great site:
                    https://www.smarthome.com.au/smartho...-http-commands
                    Last edited by shdwlynx; 10-27-2021, 10:10 AM.
                    Hub: Hub 2 (39:35:10) | Phones: Samsung Galaxy S7 (Android 8.0) | Insteon devices: 25+

Comment

Working...
                    X