No announcement yet.

IFTTT Channel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Insteon Hub is a low cost entry level device. The Hub does not support conditionals, so IFTTT has no way to control devices added to the Hub nor can that be enabled and also keep the price down.

If you have need for more control than the Hub offers, then you'll have to opt for a more costly solution such as software or an ISY.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Form what I can tell, the hub does nothing more than the PLM I already had. I guess Insteon has thrown in the towel of creating or updating to keep up. Instead it is, "well our product doesn't do that"..."so, buy something else..we are too busy."...or..."if you want it to do that, you need to buy something else". and here I thought Insteon was a true innovative company. How about Insteon work toward delivering what customers want (like they use to), things that other companies are delivering? IFTTT could only send a response to the hub to act, it doesn't need all the coding because that is taken care of by IFTTT.

Comment

Insteon has been adding features. Maybe not the things that you may want or as fast as you would like but they have not abandoned their hubs.

When you purchase an entry level device, you will get entry level capability. Purchase the system that has the features you are looking for and not the cheapest system expecting more capability. This just isn't with Insteon but pretty much anything that you buy.

Comment

So, does insteon have a more powerful device or only entry level devices? Is insteon working on something more powerful than the current Hub? I don't mind paying more, but hate the idea of having a piece mill to make things work. Would like to know what new features they have made in the last six months. I can't even tell my motion sensor to stop sending me alerts after 7am.

Comment

You would have to contact Insteon to see if they have anything brewing. If you are looking for more capability, I would look at the ISY994 like Stusviews mentioned. The hub works with Echo, Sonos (coming soon to android), Harmony hub. None of which it worked with before.

From the beginning the hub was never for conditions or timing nor did they ever promise those features. The hub does exactly what it was designed to do. Nothing more.

Comment

Well I got IFTTT working on the Insteon hub but have other questions.

http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-...security-query

Comment

cool , we could try it via the rest interface . My ISY 994 now with its portal allows it. the hub is cloud based ( heck I found that out when my internet connection drops, or insteon servers go down. ) i would be nice if the just built a channel like the others. they only thing that you should be aware of with using IFTTT fro any control approaches is some times it is good awful slow ( something todo about where the servers are relative to the IF and then channels and the load on the servers) . I use it for a ton of different things and it is now become another " staple" for most hubs/controllers to have a channel. if Insteon wants to keep thier status ( which I find superior BTW) with Smartthings, Nest, WINK , IRIS and the others they are going to Need an IFTTT channel for some this might be a deal breaker. for me it isnt but it would be nice!!!

Comment

Thank you all for your feedback regarding IFTTT + Insteon. We are making infrastructure upgrades necessary to support the channel properly. While we work towards that goal, I wanted to let you all know about another similar service that we just went live with recently: https://www.stringify.com/ It's like IFTTT but it can do multiple triggers, conditions, and actions. It doesn't have as many channels as IFTTT yet and it's only available on iOS (Android coming soon), but we think you'll really enjoy some of the features it provides.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. Please keep them coming.
                  Last edited by Isaac; 10-17-2016, 12:06 PM.
                  Insteon Stats
                  User since: 2005
                  House has: 35 devices (+ 20 or more so for testing)
                  Managing with: Hub 2 & Director

Comment

Originally posted by stusviews View Post
                    Not everyone could afford a Hub if capabilities such as conditionals and external triggers were added. It's a lot more involved than, "it should be easy to ...." The Hub is meant to be an easy entry level device into HA. For many people, that's adequate. If you want something more powerful, than it'll probably cost more.

I don't have an Apple watch. I don't even wear a watch
                    Why not make a premuim hub?

Comment

A premium hub exists, it's called an ISY
                      Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

Originally posted by stusviews View Post
                        A premium hub exists, it's called an ISY
                        Yes, but there is no app for windows phone

Comment

Originally posted by Isaac View Post
                          Thank you all for your feedback regarding IFTTT + Insteon. We are making infrastructure upgrades necessary to support the channel properly....
                          Thanks for the update Isaac, I just wish you could offer some kind of estimated timeline else I will assume the worst.

It's come down to following for me: I'm getting a Google Home device shortly. Honestly, if there isn't IFTTT or home support by 6/2017, i'm likely going to be selling all my insteon stuff on ebay and switching to Smart Things, despite the insteon hardware being nicer and much more flexible. It's getting to the point where people who put way less effort/thought into their non-Insteon home automation systems with inferior hardware are beginning to have more reliable and useful systems due to the hub's lack of support with protocol bridging options. I hope my sentiment does not reflect the broader market but this is where it stands for me.

Comment

Originally posted by MrPeach84 View Post

Yes, but there is no app for windows phone
                            The ISY portal ($49/2 yrs) allows you to control devices and scenes and run programs, too, via nearly any browser. IFTTT is also supported. And you can view virtually any IP camera.

Comment

Originally posted by skifri View Post

Thanks for the update Isaac, I just wish you could offer some kind of estimated timeline else I will assume the worst.

It's come down to following for me: I'm getting a Google Home device shortly. Honestly, if there isn't IFTTT or home support by 6/2017, i'm likely going to be selling all my insteon stuff on ebay and switching to Smart Things, despite the insteon hardware being nicer and much more flexible. It's getting to the point where people who put way less effort/thought into their non-Insteon home automation systems with inferior hardware are beginning to have more reliable and useful systems due to the hub's lack of support with protocol bridging options. I hope my sentiment does not reflect the broader market but this is where it stands for me.
                              ifttt is out dated compared to stringify

Comment

I agree that IFTTT is outdated compared to Stringify. With Stringify I am able to build complex flows that combine both Insteon and SmartThing devices along with weather conditions, my location, etc. I still feel that Insteon has the fastest and most reliable devices. They will remain a key component of my home automation.
                                Insteon Hub II (2014) Model:2245-222
                                20 Insteon Modules
                                Outdoor HD Camera 2864-232
                                HD Camera 2864-22X
                                SD Camera 75790
                                iPhone 7
                                Apple Watch

Comment

Working...
                                X