Backup/Restore of Insteon Hub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backup/Restore of Insteon Hub

My hub recently went out and while Insteon support was great and sent me a new one, I still had to register all of my devices again and set up all of my scenes again. Not fun! I think it would be FANTASTIC if I could backup or export my hub configuration and then, restore/import that configuration into a new hub. No more manually entering everything again. No more trying to remember how all of your scenes worked, etc. Everything dies eventually but a hub dieing doesn't have to be catastrophic.
    Proud tinkerer with Insteon Hub, Switches, Dimmers, Fanlincs, etc. Plus some Amazon Echos to make things more fun!
    I blog about smart home stuff too!

This I agree with. While easy, it's a tedious process made unbearable with large installs.

Comment

It is definitely a great idea. I'd love to be able to back up my configuration to the cloud. I'll pass the suggestion to the developers, albeit I'm sure this is a feature they are aware of.

Comment

Been asking for this for years

Comment

I came here to research this exact topic. This is the second time I’ve had a hub die and it’s really unacceptable that there’s not an easier way to deal with this. I happen to have a backup hub, but the idea of having to go back and re-program every load and scene is beyond frustrating.

I’ve been so-so on the Insteon solution the entire time...but I’ve kept investing by adding more controllers. I think I may go research current alternatives before I waste the time to set this up again.

Comment

Hey all,

Cloud backup and restore of hub configurations and device links is a high priority for us. We do not have an ETA on this at the moment, but we are looking into getting this working for all of you. It definitely would make hub upgrades and replacements much easier! Just wanted to let you know that it's on our radar and is a priority item for us.

Comment

Glad to hear that Sean. Thanks.

Comment

That is great news! I have literally been searching for a good home automation hub that allows backups. What I've learned is that zwave seems to be a royal pain to work with and most consumer level hubs have backup issues as well. There are some alternatives but I really don't want to leave unless I have to - I really like Insteon.

So thanks for the update. It's good to know that my Insteon investment is getting better all the time.

Keep up the good work!
                Proud tinkerer with Insteon Hub, Switches, Dimmers, Fanlincs, etc. Plus some Amazon Echos to make things more fun!
                I blog about smart home stuff too!

Comment

Glad someone else thinks this is important. I referenced this exact issue in 2015! Come on - this is basic and expected functionality!
                  Installers BEWARE - So while this post doesn't sound like it, I am a big Insteon fan. The products are nice and for the most part work well and reliably. So

Comment

This is a super important feature. I was able to solder new caps in to my hub when they went bad, but it was a really scary situation when I thought a hardware failure could force me to re-program 90+ devices.

Comment

How about a partial?

I'm guessing that the reason this isn't done yet is because there's something difficult about the programming itself. How about a partial? I control my system by both the Android app and the Windows app on my laptop. Can one of those be programmed back up? But very least, I do screen caps on my Windows laptop and all the settings before I have to do a reset at least I don't have to remember them all again.

Comment

This is not what you are looking for, but you may find it useful. The login credentials should be the same as the credentials for your hub. Once you are logged in, click on the icon across the bottom second from the right.

I was aware of this page years ago, but the original developers never completed it. Our new Insteon Team mentioned the page in a newsletter. I do not think there are any plans for the pages other than to document the current ShowHouseDeviceList. It also reports rooms, scenes, and schedules.

ALSO: I'm not positive about this, but I think it was mentioned that only the ShowHouseDeviceList page is current, and the other pages should be ignored and not to try to use them.
                        Last edited by RPSalty; 11-19-2023, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X