Insteon Secure Devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insteon Secure Devices

Does anyone know of any devices or controllers capable of using Insteon's encrypted messaging? Does the Lock Controller maintain the security level of the lock RF communication, or is it unsecured between the controller and the command device? I thought it might be nice to use the Insteon gear for control of my garage door, but I can't seem to find any products that have a level of security beyond needing to spoof an already linked device's ID. I don't mine this for basic, non-critical HA but now that I've started using it, I am wondering what else I can do with it. It seems the tools are there for making secure products, I just can't find any in production.

Originally posted by mattb View Post
    Does anyone know of any devices or controllers capable of using Insteon's encrypted messaging? Does the Lock Controller maintain the security level of the lock RF communication, or is it unsecured between the controller and the command device? I thought it might be nice to use the Insteon gear for control of my garage door, but I can't seem to find any products that have a level of security beyond needing to spoof an already linked device's ID. I don't mine this for basic, non-critical HA but now that I've started using it, I am wondering what else I can do with it. It seems the tools are there for making secure products, I just can't find any in production.
    Insteon does not have or use true encryption - It uses unique MAC addresses or tap linking to associate to other devices / controllers. If you wish to see true 128 bit level encryption as seen on newer Z-Wave Generation 5 products. I would suggest you make a new thread requesting such a requirement is needed for the product.
    Want to make a real difference? Please cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-...t/8221-plm-pro

Comment

The address, pairing and transport mechanism does not speak to the security of the payload. Insteon describes on their website how these devices would work, I was just wondering if any exist. I can' tell if the lock controller employs rolling codes on the Insteon side or not. The quote below seems to indicate that Insteon, themselves, think it should.

From Insteon's Website:

BEGIN QUOTE

Encryption within Extended Messages

For applications such as door locks and security systems, INSTEON Extended messages can contain encrypted payloads. Possible encryption methods include rolling-code, managed-key, and public-key algorithms. In keeping with INSTEON’s hallmark of simplicity, rolling-code encryption, as used by garage door openers and radio keyfobs for cars, is the method preferred by INSTEON.

END QUOTE

Comment

No true encryption exists on any Insteon hardware products as of this writing. The only thing Insteon could possibly claim as using any sort of encryption is via their smart application which contacts the cloud hosted services. None of the current selling Insteon hardware offer any rolling code, public key, etc.
        Want to make a real difference? Please cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-...t/8221-plm-pro

Comment

Thanks for the info. Appreciate it.

Comment

If you are asking about the 2862-222 Insteon Lock Controller.
            The sales site shows.
            Insteon power line only [not Dual Band] to and from the lock controller to Insteon devices.
            Proprietary RF commands between the Insteon Lock Controller and the MiLocks products locks themselves.
            The users manual indicates it has an FCC ID# SDFRF01.
            FCC indicates the RF frequency between the Lock Controller and the Locks is 434.000MHz.
            Last edited by BLH; 01-16-2017, 05:04 PM. Reason: Add information

Comment

Thanks for sharing the informative post.

Comment

Working...
              X