Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Multi-zone I/O solution for monitoring doors and windows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multi-zone I/O solution for monitoring doors and windows?

I am new to insteon and have done well getting it going. I have been considering ISY, but have not decided to make that jump as I am not totally sold on insteon so far. So I am looking for a solution to work with the existing HUB.
    My situation is a new home with read sensors prewired for all doors and windows. Each door and window is a direct run to the main "alarm" panel. All I have to do is ad magnets for triggering. I have already done this with the doors. I counter-sunk some magnets in the doors to match up with the read sensors. The daisy chained the door read sensors in series across a terminal block. This allows me to use a single I/O sensor to monitor all doors. However, I do not like this idea for the windows.
    I have 19 windows around the house that are wired into the panel. I want to separate them out individually, or at least into zones of 3-4 windows. The problem is that I do not want to purchase a separate I/O for each group. That would get expensive quickly.
    What can I use/integrate with the insteon hub that will allow me to add multiple read sensors and keep alerts zone specific? I am hoping for 6 zones without getting 6 I/O linc modules at $42 a pop.

There is nothing that will provide what you want that will integrate with the Hub--which is an entry level device. In addition, Insteon is not meant to be used as a security system and it's unsafe to use Insteon as one if the need is for a security system. Insteon devices can supplement a true security system, but should never be used in place of one.

An Elk security system can fulfill your requirements and can integrate with Insteon using an ISY.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

As Stu noted Insteon is not made, endorsed, or certified as a UL / cUL security device for the home. Having said this if you really want to integrate Insteon devices on a lower price point you may consider this device for integration: http://smartenit.com/product/ezio8sa/
      Want to make a real difference? Please cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-...t/8221-plm-pro

Comment

I appreciate the information you both provided. The smatenit sure gets close to what I was looking for, but sort of in the opposite direction. Definitely something I would keep in mind for future projects.
        I understand the "reliability" I put into insteon devices should remain limited and it cannot be expected to perform as emergency equipment or sole security source. I am not comfortable with implementing locks or HVAC controls for many of the same reasons. I am at the entry of the automation process and trying to implement with efficiency. I don't expect insteon to cover all the bases and plan on it being a part of a larger system. I want to do my best to implement and expand without extra purchases. In other words, I don't want to buy something just for the sake of working with the hub when I may transition to an ISY.
        I do control much of my lighting, but in many cases, such as doors or windows, I just want to see status. More for quieting the voices before bed or when I get to the office in the morning. I can glance and re-assure myself I did close the door.
        That said, finding an ELK device specific to my intent has not been so easy either.

Comment

EVIL Teken, I was taking a second look at that device you linked. If I am reading correctly, I understand it can pull the status of attached sensors. However, it would have to be a status request manually initiated by a configured trigger, such as a remote or button. Not sure you would have the answer to that, but thought you may be familiar.

Comment

I believe you simply need to sit back and reflect *Do I want to do this right the first time* and spend your money once. Meaning, its obvious you have taken the time to think some of this over so I would ask you to reconsider saving up and buying the ISY Series Controller, ELK, Elk Module, and call it good.

Integrating the two above will offer you over the long term the most robust and tight integration of Insteon, X10, Z-Wave.
            Want to make a real difference? Please cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-...t/8221-plm-pro

Comment

Yeah. That seems to be the route seen and chosen. I am building out the lighting and basic sensors with insteon. I am starting to see that the hub is helping me plan for what I need out of the ISY. I think getting some more experience and comfort in the current equipment will help in the programming and transition to ISY.

Comment

Working...
              X