Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Armed/Disarmed state: Like a basic security system need.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll simply reiterate what the OP wants, if anyone else has a better/different way please offer it instead of attempting to get into a debate with a 30+ year veteran of the Security Industry.

Thanks,

Originally posted by ocdtrekkie View Post
    If I wanted a truly secure system, I'd get a 24/7 monitored system. I just want the ability to get notified if a door opens while I'm not home. But that needs some way to specify whether or not I'm home.

Comment

Originally posted by TFitzpatri8 View Post
      For what it is worth, some users have figured a way to substitute another Insteon module for an active/inactive switch using HouseLinc's conditional programming. Plug in an unused on/off module, turn it on when you leave and off when you come home, then use the state of that module as an event condition to determine whether an email is or is not sent. Or use an ISY, which supports the use of variables as program conditions.
      Or you could use another home automation program like HomeSeer to accomplish the same thing. These are the options, so far as I can tell. I wouldn't expect an 'arm/disarm' feature to show up in the Hub app because of the reasons I detailed in earlier messages.

Comment

Originally posted by stusviews View Post
        Something "like a basic security system" is entirely different than a notification only. It's easy to use INSTEON to be notified if a door opens, but it is NOT "like a basic security system" and it would be a disservice to suggest that it is.
        I would contest that without someway to denote whether you expect the door to be opened at that time or not, say, by setting a variable to home or not home, is a requirement of being able to do this. So I wouldn't say it's easy to use INSTEON for that right now. Since I either have to use a dummy $50 module as a variable, or I have to buy a third party controller.

Comment

The Insteon Hub doesn't feature variables or conditional programming at all, which is what you are looking for--you want notifications to only go out only if both a sensor activates AND some other condition is true, which isn't possible with the Hub architecture.

You can do that with other Insteon-compatible solutions, such as the ISY, or using other home automation software, but it isn't a Hub feature.

Comment

Originally posted by ocdtrekkie View Post

I would contest that without someway to denote whether you expect the door to be opened at that time or not, say, by setting a variable to home or not home, is a requirement of being able to do this. So I wouldn't say it's easy to use INSTEON for that right now. Since I either have to use a dummy $50 module as a variable, or I have to buy a third party controller.
            I didn't say that "it's easy to use INSTEON for that." Emphasis added.

I did say,"It's easy to use INSTEON to be notified if a door opens, but it is NOT "like a basic security system." Emphasis added.
            Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
            Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Originally posted by TFitzpatri8 View Post
              The Insteon Hub doesn't feature variables or conditional programming at all, which is what you are looking for--you want notifications to only go out only if both a sensor activates AND some other condition is true, which isn't possible with the Hub architecture.

You can do that with other Insteon-compatible solutions, such as the ISY, or using other home automation software, but it isn't a Hub feature.
              Using HouseLinc, not the Hub. Don't like cloud solutions. (Really wish the INSTEON app could connect to HouseLinc, but I digress.)

I just can't fathom how it isn't common sense that this capability needs to exist in the software. Yes, I understand without additional considerations (like the backup power I already have) that it isn't a perfect system, but it still should be provided, particularly when modules and packages are even sold marketed as being able to be used for this sort of purpose.

Comment

HouseLinc has that capability. The Hub does not.
                Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

Originally posted by stusviews View Post
                  HouseLinc has that capability. The Hub does not.
                  I was under the impression it did not. Earlier posts in the thread seemed to indicate it did not. Can you explain how?

Comment

Create a HouseLinc event using any controller as a trigger, for example, a door or motion sensor. Triggers are evaluated as "or" statements so you can include several triggers.

Add a device such as an unused LampLinc into the condition panel. A keypad secondary button cannot be a condition, but you can use a secondary button to turn the condition device on (not home) or off (home).

Add devices to the action panel, for example, one or more lights, a siren connected to an I/O Linc, a strobe plugged into an appliancelinc, etc. You can also send messages.

Comment

Agree with ocdtrekkie and Beelocks and have not posted for fear of wasting time with the mods! Questions are posted with the desire for answers, not limited liability, useless, uncreative, moderated ..... words.

​For ocdtrekkie, Beelocks and me Automation = Alarm. For mods please just read Automation.

​Basic on/off or arm/disarm of Insteon products is amazingly missing, we should have the ability to turn automation of and on (not devices but the automation itself). ISY does not work for me, no Windows support. Indigo does not send text messages and I need to get them since I am building home security. Hub does not do Conditional Triggers which I need to turn my automation on and off. Homelinc does not work with Hub 2 version. No real good solutions.

​My hack is to get 2 on off modules for every one that I have connected to my local alarms (12vdc strobe with siren). The first on off module is paired with the motion sensor and then this paired on off module is plugged into another on off module that is not paired to any detection sensors. This second unpaired on off module can be turned on and off via the Hub app, and a scene can be created to turn on and off several on off modules at one time, this turns off the automation of the paired sensors and on off modules. I still then need to turn text messaging off for each motion sensor to completely turn the automation off, so its not a one button on and off system.

​A simple ability to turn of the automation would be great, as it stands with my hack Insteon gets to sell me 2 modules for every one I really need. And I get to change multiple setting in the hub app just to turn the automation on and off.

Comment

Believing something does not make it true, even if virtually everyone believes it. The shape of the earth is a classic example. Home automation and home security are not at all the same although the two systems can be integrated and many of the components are shared by both, such as motion sensors, door and window sensors, cameras etc.

For example, opening a closet door to turn on a light is primarily in the realm of home automation, but opening a front door to perform a function can serve as a convenience (announce that I'm home) or be a security device (announce a break-in).

Comment

Ok, wow. Something these moderators don't seem to realize is that Insteon is a PRODUCT, a BUSINESS that you are trying to sell to people. Getting pissy with your customers because you have a major feature missing from your product because you think it isn't a feature your product should have is NOT a sound business practice. Look at Microsoft and their attitude with the smart phone market that they owned for many years. They sure don't own it now, do they? I am in agreement with everyone here, this is a feature I desperately need and is missing. I used to have a Smarthome security system with X10 support, but now that my house has burned down and I'm starting over from scratch I want a security system that is Insteon integrated without having to drop over $1200 for a system that is ugly as crap (Elk) and not very useful. Insteon has a huge opportunity here but by how they are represented here in these forums it sure doesn't look like they are going to take advantage of it. IF anyone has come up with a good solution I am VERY eager to hear it. (Just a note to moderators, how about you try suggesting a SOLUTION instead of your belittling comments of your customers for a change. Maybe suggest a GOOD security system to accomplish what we need (Insteon integration) that doesn't freaking cost $1200 and look like it was made in the 70's.
                          Last edited by mefree; 12-22-2014, 08:23 PM.

Comment

It would not just be detrimental to business, it could be dangerous to users for a company to claim, in any way at all, that a system that is not meant to be used for security can be implemented as a security system.

As far as a "good" security system is concerned, that depends entirely on your need, not your budget. It is false security to install a system that "will do."

Claimer: the moderators are volunteers and do not work for the company in any capacity.

Comment

Wow, it blows my mind the way you guys respond to these posts. You aren't prescribing prescription drugs here that if not taken properly people die. Seriously, get over yourselves, holy crap! 'it could be dangerous to users for a company to claim, in any way at all, that a system that is not meant to be used for security can be implemented as a security system.' Wow dude, seriously? Wow....... It is insane how way over the top you guys react to this. Dude, it's pretty simple. When I leave my house, I want it so if someone opens the door a loud audible alarm goes off and it calls my phone. If I go to sleep and someone opens my door I want a loud audible alarm to go off. Pretty simple, World War III isn't going to start because I used something not designed to be in YOUR opinion a 'security system' by your definition. I'm seriously thinking this entire Insteon forums site is a complete and utter joke. "It is false security to install a system that "will do." ' Again WOW. Holy crap man, seriously, take yourselves less seriously because no one else takes you seriously acting like this. Speaking of which, Insteon may want to re-think who they allow to be their volunteers representing them because holy crap man, you are a joke.
                              Last edited by mefree; 12-22-2014, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Of course I'll probably get banned for daring to point out how insanely over the top you guys react, but so be it.

Comment

Working...
                                X