Dimmer vs ON/Off Module

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dimmer vs ON/Off Module

I typically use a On/Off Module (2635-222) to control appliances and understand there is a difference with the circuitry in a Dimmer Module (2457D2). I recently used a Dimmer Module to control under cabinet LED lights. The LED light string is powered by a small 7w transformer/driver. I assumed this power supply is similar to what is normally built into a LED dimmable bulb. When I plugged the transformer directly into the dimmer module it caused the module light to flicker and it would not respond to commands. I then used an extension cord to move the transformer further from the module and it has been working fine. I have the module set to instant on. No dimming used. Any idea why the transformer can't be plugged in directly? Is there any risk with using a dimmer module in this application?
    Insteon Hub II (2014) Model:2245-222
    20 Insteon Modules
    Outdoor HD Camera 2864-232
    HD Camera 2864-22X
    SD Camera 75790
    iPhone 7
    Apple Watch

Dimmer use a Triac to control the AC output.
    Even at 100% On there is a small glitch around the AC waveform Zero Crossing.

This can cause problems. Along with most inductive loads like a transformer do not run well on a dimmer. Unless designed to be used on a dimmer.
    I suspect the added capacity of the extension wires was enough to make it more stable.
    Running a transformer on a dimmer may cause overheating or a shorter life. Even if early tests seem to be stable.

After looking at your post again. If you power supply was a small switcher but was not rated for a dimmable supply. That could also be why it did not work correctly.
    The small capacity between the two extension cord may still be playing with the setup. If the supply is a switcher and not a plain transformer run supply.
    Last edited by BLH; 10-08-2017, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Thanks for your informative response. I have since experienced some more anomalies. On occasion the LED lights would start a high frequency flashing and I noticed that when the module is in the off state, the led light on the transformer would pulse on at a slow pace meaning it was still getting current from the module. I will swap this dimmer module with an ON/OFF module and hopefully things will operate more normally. I assume the on/off module has a mechanical relay so off means off and on delivers normal AC current at 60 cycles.
      Insteon Hub II (2014) Model:2245-222
      20 Insteon Modules
      Outdoor HD Camera 2864-232
      HD Camera 2864-22X
      SD Camera 75790
      iPhone 7
      Apple Watch

Comment

You are correct, the on/off module uses a relay. Even at full on, TRIACs clip the waveform. When connected to a non-dimmable load, whether on not you see symptoms, you will, at best, shorten the life of either the dimmer or the load or both and, at worst, destroy one, the other or both. The difficulty may not appear until after some weeks or even months. Don't do it, stop now before more damage occurs.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
        Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

There are dimmable transformers on Amazon that many have had good success with dimmers. Threes plenty of threads on the smart home forums

Comment

I've found that Magnitude transformers work really well with Insteon dimmers

Comment

All fine as long as the load being controlled (transformer) is meant to be dimmed.
              Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
              Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Working...
              X