2-Wire Switch Conundrum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2-Wire Switch Conundrum

I have seen some related threads regarding this topic but I believe I am trying to achieve a slightly different goal so the responses didn't give me quite enough info to make an informed decision. I tried Insteon technical support and they said I am SOL, but I also got the feeling they weren't totally clear on what I was trying to achieve. I have a room with a single wall switch that currently operates recessed lights. My goal was to install a dimmer keypad(2334-222) to control those recessed lights, a wired in lamp dimmer (2472D), and a Sonos speaker. As a result I bought a dimmer keypad and the wired in lamp dimmer. When I went to install it I realized my light switch was a switch loop configuration, so with this configuration I have no common wire making my Dimmer Keypad useless. I would have to tear into the drywall to run a return wire, making it a less than ideal solution. I see that there is a 2-wire switch available but then I don't have my added scene control. The only solution I have come up with is to use a mini-remote with a wall mount and turn my single switch into 2-gang, which is silly because I have enough buttons on the keypad to cover that switch. Are there are other creative solutions besides re-wiring or a 2-gang setup with a mini-remote? I see there are some wired in modules but all of them appear to be 4-wire configurations which means I need to pull my recessed lights and try to wire them in behind the recessed lights. This is also not ideal because they are in an enclosed soffit with no attic access, the only access I have is the fixture itself, which means I would likely end up with drywall work.
    Thank you in advance for any responses.

There is a solution. No drywall work required, only some wiring connection changes. That solution requires that you install a Micro Dimmer (smaller size) or In-LineLinc dimmer (higher capacity) into the ceiling box.

Currently, the wires between the fixture and switch box are white wire (line: connected to a black wire at the ceiling box) and black wire (load: connected to fixture black wire). You'll need to change that so that the cable going to the switch has line (black) and neutral (white). The red wire from the KPL is capped. Connect the Micro or In-LineLinc dimmer to line, neutral and load.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Working...
    X