Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old Insteon Dimmer not working correctly.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Insteon Dimmer not working correctly.

I have a 2476D Rev. 3.1 that was linked to a micro unit in a ceiling light. It used to work perfectly..tap on, tap off, hold to dim or bright. But a few days ago I have lost the tap on and tap off, all I can do is hold to dim or bright. Unfortunately, I have no access to the micro unit without pulling down the ceiling (not an option at this point.) Is there any way to reestablish the tap on/tap off function for this light? Thanks for any insight here, kinda stuck...especially with a old, old dimmer.

Do you have an Insteon manager such as HouseLinc, a Hub or other software?
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

I am in the process of buying a hub, but it is not installed.

Comment

I just remembered I have a universal device ISY994i and it shows up there. Can I reprogram the non-load dimmer that only controls the light by dimming/brightening? Thanks for your help on this!

Comment

No. On, fast on, off, fast off, dim and brighten are hard coded and cannot be changed. If any of those functions are not working correctly, then you should try a factor reset. You can use the ISY to restore all the links you created (right click, Restore Device).

BTW, unless you are very, very familiar with the Insteon protocol, using another manager (e.g., Insteon Hub) with the ISY will lead to unexpected results.
          Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

Thanks for your help. By using the ISY I was able to program the switch exactly as I wanted it. PERFECT.

However, I am a bit spooked now that you say the new Insteon Hub may be a issue. If I disconnect the ISY, will that eliminate any issues? I bought the HUB because I wanted the Echo compatibility, I see that ISY offers a module for Echo as well. Do you have any recommendations as to which does a better job?

Thanks again for the fast, accurate and professional answers!

Comment

I prefer the ISY portal for Echo compatibility because I can use it for devices, scene and, especially programs. Unlike the Hub app, the portal is not free, the cost is $49/2 yrs. Also, the portal allows for up to four accounts which allows us to use the same command in different rooms and the command affects that room only, for example, when in the bedroom, "Alexa, turn on the light," turns on only the bedroom light, but in the living room the same command turns on only the living room light. That's a frill most people don't use/need

Comment

• kenrok1
                kenrok1 commented
                Editing a comment
                Sorry for the hijack -but how does it know what room? Is it linked to dedicated echo device for that particular room?

Yes. I have three Echos, ten Echo Dots and four accounts (the maximum number of accounts is five). The Echos are placed in four areas and I'm using three of the four possible wake words. That leaves me with one spare account and one possible wake word, should the need arise.

BTW, there's no cost to having multiple accounts.

Comment

Working...
              X