2 SwitchLincs already linked?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 SwitchLincs already linked?

I recently installed two SwitchLinc 2477d's to replace two 3-way switches. I've done this before and am familiar with the process. When I got the two switches installed but before linking them I tried testing them. I expected one to turn the light on and off and the other to do nothing. To my surprise, they both operated the light, even though one of them did not have it's load wire connected to anything. They were behaving as if they were already linked. You might say "What's the problem, they're doing what you want". Which is true, but I don't like not understanding WHY it is working.

I tried unlinking them and still they both controlled the light. Finally, I tried a factory reset on both and got the behavior I was expecting (one switch controlled the light and the other did nothing). I then linked them and now they both control the light. All this without touching any of the wiring, so I know that was right from the start.

Basically, this says to me that these two switches were already linked when I got them, which seems really unlikely. Has anyone seen that before?

Kind of a wild coincidence. I ordered a total of 5 SwitchLincs from Amazon and just happened to select these two for my 3-way replacements. Funny thing is that it's supposed to save time, but ended up costing me a couple of extra hours trying to figure out what was going on

Comment

Do you have a Hub or other Insteon manager? If so, then it's not difficult to inadvertently link two devices together while adding them, especially if the writes for one haven't quite completed.
      Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
      Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Some of us. Do a Factory Reset on every new Insteon device. Before installing them.
        Occasionally some get shipped with test addresses in them that should have been removed as part of the QC Tests.

Comment

Great post.

Comment

Working...
          X