Switch location during new construction and using Keypads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switch location during new construction and using Keypads

I like the fact that a Keypad lets me reduce the number of switches that I have to have installed in any one place. But what's the actual best practice around that? I am going to do a bathroom remodel and at the end the room will probably have 3 or 4 switch lights. It would be my preference to just install an Insteon keypad and then put the controllers for the 3 other lights ... somewhere else? Somewhere hidden? Are there recommendations on how to approach this? It seems silly to use a Keypad for linking to other switches if the other switches are mounted right there next to the keypad (yes, I know keypads have lots of other potential value, too).

Would love some thoughts.
    Thanks!
    jtf

IMO, it is absolutely wrong to not use standard wiring throughout (with on minor exception). What if something needs replacement and the older item is no longer available? What if you need to sell the home and can't find a buyer that want's the specific HA you installed? What if, you yourself, decide that another newer system is better, but the current wiring won't support it.

Others may disagree
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

I'm with Stusviews. Design your house with standard switches in mind. That way no matter what happens in the future, you will be able to adjust later on. For example, if your keypad fails and you have an embedded module somewhere, how will you turn on the lights?

With that said; when I did my home, I used 2 keypads. 1 for status and the other to control the devices. Using my bedroom for example, I have recessed lights and a fan without lights. Both are wired to the keypads. I'm running constant hot to control the fanlinc that's in the fan while the other kpl is wired directly to the lights. Should I need to temporarily hardwire or pull out the fanlinc, Its a simple matter of connected the wire properly in the wall.

The keypad connected to the lights control the fan speeds, lamps, etc. while the other keypad shows me status of my garage, locks, doors, etc.

Comment

Working...
      X