newish recessed LED lights buzzing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

newish recessed LED lights buzzing

We had some work done on our house a few months ago and part of the work they installed new electrical throughout the house, including installing some recessed dimmable LED lights. Pretty much since day one though the lights buzz. Even at full brightness there's a little bit of buzz. If the tv is on most of the time you don't notice it. But when the lights are dimmed the buzzing gets louder. The buzzing seems to be loudest between 15% and 85% brightness. at 10% i can barely hear it.

To make it a little more confusing, there's 3 rows of lights. The back row buzzes the loudest and is the row of lights we usually use. The middle row is a little more quiet than the back row and the front row is the quietest. All the lights are on the same circuit.

There are 3 insteon in wall dimmable switches that control each row.

Any ideas what's causing the buzzing and how to fix it? I don't remember the brand of lights they installed, but it was something that homedepot had readily in stock. And it was probably one of the cheaper selections knowing this contractor.

Which Insteon dimmers? Are all the LEDs the same brand? Try swapping the first and third devices. Does the buzzing stay with the load or the dimmer?
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

They are all 2477D switches. And i think the lights are feit electric. I'll try swapping switches and see what happens.

Comment

I have some Feit A19 LED bulbs. All bought at the same time.
        Even on a plain mechanical wall switch. Some have a hum that can be heard.
        If the hum stays on the same set of bulbs with the switches swapped. It maybe the bulbs themselves.

Comment

Are there a set of recommended LED dimmable bulbs to use?

Comment

Since the LED bulb manufacturers are updating designs and releasing new models.
            Recommended LED bulb findings may change form time to time.

I have two Phillips EnduraLED LED bulbs. Same part number except a -1 suffix on the newer redesigned one. They act differently on dimmers I have tested them with.

Comment

I've always had success with Sylvania dimmable LED bulbs.
              Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
              Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Has Merk resolved this issue? If not, and before replacing the insteon devices I'd recommend trying to put in a standard dimmer switch to see if the humming persists. I had two areas hum/buzz from the day we closed on our house which was long before installing any insteon switches. The cause for one area was a loose wire connecting to the socket, the second was the tab in the bottom of the light socket was pressed down slightly and just barely making contact with the end of the bulb.

Comment

Working...
                X