SwitchLinc 2477D with GFCI Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SwitchLinc 2477D with GFCI Problem

I replaced a standard wall switch with a SwitchLinc 2477D switch. This switch is down line from a GFCI outlet because it controls a covered, recessed can light over a shower stall. There is a neutral wire in the box. There are also two other switches in the same box that are not on the GFCI. Immediately, when the circuit breaker is turned on, the GFCI trips. I called Insteon support and they were no help. Would a two-wire switch (2474D) work in this circuit? I just replaced the GFCI outlet. Insteon support suggested that I try a different brand of GFCI that may not be so sensitive. I don't think I want a GFCI that is less sensitive. It seems like it defeats the purpose of a GFCI.

All GFCI outlets conform to the same standards. The rep may have meant a GFCI that is less sensitive to poweline home automation signals. Which brand GFCI do you have?
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

It's a Leviton 110V 20A GFCI duplex outlet. The rep kept referring to AFCI. I had to keep reminding him that it is a GFCI.
      The GFCI is powered from a standard breaker. The GFCI load connection powers a duplex outlet (not switched) by a sink and the switched light over the shower. All wiring is in conduit and was done by the builder's electricians. The house is 11 years old.
      I would really like to control this light so any assistance you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Communication can be confusing. I did have to carefully read your post to ensure that you meant it was the outlet and not the circuit breaker that was tripping. Your post is accurate, BTW.

It's possible that the GFCI outlet has deteriorated due to being in a moist location. You could try a new GFCI outlet or you could install a standard outlet and replace the circuit breaker with an AFCI breaker.

What is the result if you disconnect the SwitchLinc load wire?
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

The GFCI outlet was replaced a week ago with a new one.
          An Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter won't give the same protection, although, I doubt there will ever be a problem. The light in question is in a covered, recessed fixture in a 9 foot ceiling over the shower stall. Also, an AFCI won't meet code for fixtures near wet areas.
          I'll have to try disconnecting the load wire. It will be a few days as I'm having out-of-town company here for a few days. I'll be back on here after I give it a try. I'll also see if I can provide a drawing of how things are configured.
          Thanks for your help.

Comment

My error. You cannot replace a GFCI with an AFCI. But, the NEC does not require a switch to be so protected. You can connect the switch to the line side of the GFCI outlet.

Caveat: some municipalities, for example, NYC, may have a more restrictive building code than the NEC.

Comment

If possible install the Insteon on the Line side of the GFCI.

Comment

To be clear, there are combination AFCI / GFCI's on the market now. GE makes some so does Siemens and believe these are breaker style. Leviton also makes breakers and I did see a outlet dual unit.
                Last edited by Teken; 01-20-2015, 01:52 PM.
                Teken . . .

Comment

I seem to have same issue. Installed 2477d to control outside house lights and GFCI CIRCUIT TRIPPED IN GARAGE OUTLET AS SOON AS I TURN ON BREAKER...WORKS FINE WITH ORGINAL SWITCH...ANY SOLUTION TO THIS?

Comment

A different brand breaker may work. Too bad they're so costly.

Comment

Home is less than year old...I don't think it is the gfic wall outlet because it works fine with original light switch...it has to be something with the insteon electronics.

Comment

Do you know if the 2477D is feed AC from the protected output of the GFCI normally used to protect further devices?
                        Some brands of GFCI wall outlets could be more tolerant of the Insteon wall switch as other brands.

Comment

Don't know that...when I kill breaker it shuts lights in front of house, bathroom, and spare bedroom.

Comment

Yes the 2477D is fed from protected output of the GFCI

Comment

Which room is the dimmer installed in?

Comment

Working...
                              X