Looking to install switches in new construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to install switches in new construction

I had a few questions i thought id ask before taking the plunge and buying a bunch of switches.

Building a new home and want to install these switches throughout the house to be able to control the lights.

I have a bunch of 3 way switches.

-If I wanted the circuit to dim, do i need 2 dimmer switches, or can you use one dimmer and one standard on-off?

-Do all the switches need to be an insteon switch in a 3 way configuration? or can you just add one to be able to remote control the circuit?

-In the software to program the zones, can you create groups? for example i have 3 light switches in the bedroom, i want them all off. Can i tell "Alexa" turn off bedroom and all 3 switches turn off?

Since it is new.
    Make sure there is a Neutral power connection in all the switch locations. All Insteon switches except the Two Wire model for incandescent bulbs only. Need a Neutral.
    Deep electrical boxes are also best. Easiest to get the wiring done with some room and not a tough squeeze.

Comment

1) all must be insteon
      2) you can remove the second switch cap off the wires and control the light from only the main location, and from anywhere else via alexa, or phone app or a remote button/switch.
      3) there are a few ways you can create the scene in insteon app and alexa will usually find it, but you can also group the lights together in the alexa app and control it that way. alexa does see intern created scenes but insteon app does not see alexa created scenes.

Comment

One thing I would add is to make sure you protect your switches like you do your other electronics. Install a whole house surge protector on your panel at a minimum. I also use a meter surge protector as well

Comment

thanks everyone for the replies. This helps a lot. We are having the home wired as it were without these switches incase we go a different route.

So far these seem to be the ones im leaning to. Just hoping they dont loose connectivity.

Last question's at the moment.

How is all the information stored on what controls what? Is it in the switches? I dont want to rely on having internet for my lighting to work.
          Do i need a hub to program the 8 button multi switch to setup scenes? does that 8 button switch work without the hub?
          Is the hub only for remote controlling via lan/wan?
          Last edited by infinkc; 03-23-2018, 01:48 PM.

Comment

While you don't need a hub to get your system going you'll wish you had 1 after a few switches. I would go with the ISY since you are installing Insteon in your whole house. While there is a learning curve with it, you'll be much happier long term than using the Insteon hub itself.. it's much much more capable than the hub (did I say much more).

Comment

Originally posted by lilyoyo1 View Post
              While you don't need a hub to get your system going you'll wish you had 1 after a few switches. I would go with the ISY since you are installing Insteon in your whole house. While there is a learning curve with it, you'll be much happier long term than using the Insteon hub itself.. it's much much more capable than the hub (did I say much more).
              Looked into the ISY, but there is a charge for Alexa services. Would you be able to use the Insteon hub and the ISY together?

How much better is the ISY than the HUB? just gives you more flexibility? WHat cant i do with the Insteon Hub?

Comment

Timed events such as , turn off after 5 min, but most of all conditionals, for example If this, Then do that, Else do something different. You can include Waits in programs, too, and also Repeats. Much more.
                Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
                Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Originally posted by infinkc View Post

Looked into the ISY, but there is a charge for Alexa services. Would you be able to use the Insteon hub and the ISY together?

How much better is the ISY than the HUB? just gives you more flexibility? WHat cant i do with the Insteon Hub?
                  There is a 2 year subscription for their portal which costs 50 bucks for the first 2 years. This allows you to connect to Alexa, Google home, iffy and remote access of your ISY. You also get the network module with it which allows you to integrate additional network based devices such as hue bulbs.

With you just starting out, I would not recommend using the ISY and hub together (though it can be done). Once you know the in and out of Insteon, you can start using another controller should you choose. I personally feel you are better off investing in 1 system and doing things properly over taking short cuts to save time/money.

Comment

If you want to be able to dim the lights using a switch, you will need to use a dimmer switch. In a 3-way configuration, you will need to use two dimmer switches.
                    Last edited by INSTEON John; 05-07-2023, 12:57 PM. Reason: Erased hidden code linked to a non-relevant web site like spam

Comment

Working...
                    X