Adding Pre-installed Light Circuits to Hub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding Pre-installed Light Circuits to Hub

I’m a newbie here. Our electricians installed a hub and controllers for several circuits in one room recently. I love the ability to set the scenes there.

But in two earlier jobs in other rooms, they used Insteon products as a solution to accommodate tricky issues with switches and placement. I am having a hard time integrating these with our hub so that I can control them also. One has a keypad that has two dimmable circuits for lights. The other is a mini-remote that controls one dimmable circuit. I can get the hub to recognize both the keypad and remote, but that has not allowed me to control the light circuits they are joined to. I have no clue where any links might be physically located for the light circuits. Before having a service call with the electricians, is there a way to add these lights so they are controlled?

All devices must be added to your hub and the group (called a scene) controlled together.

When you control a device directly, you only control that device. Insteon doesn't communicate downwind like that (it's actually a good thing). This allows much more possibilities when it comes to configuration

Comment

Which specific keypad? Insteon keypads can control only one wired circuit. Any other button must be linked to a different Insteon device in order to control the other device.
      Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
      Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Originally posted by stusviews View Post
        Which specific keypad? Insteon keypads can control only one wired circuit. Any other button must be linked to a different Insteon device in order to control the other device.
        Looks like it is a 2334-222, a keypad with 8 buttons, Stu. Your comment makes sense to me. I believe they used an Insteon keypad (the first used in our house) because there was not room for two conventional switches in the available wall space. So they must have broken up a single "circuit" by creating two "devices" with link relays. One was for can lights (Master Button), and a second is for a hanging pendant (Button B).

For the other comment, I get scenes, but I think you may have answered my question the way I feared. What I wanted to know is if there is a way to get control of the device (the link relays or lights) when the controller to which it is assigned (here, the 8-button keypad above and another room with the mini-remote) is joined to the hub? Or do I have to physically find where those links are to be able to get them joined to the hub also? It sounds like you are saying I have to do it the hard way. Oh well...

Comment

The only time you need physical access to an Insteon device is when that device is first added to the Hub. In that case, you need the device's ID (three hexadecimal pairs) or access to the set button. That's a security feature that prevents someone from controlling your devices.

You can view the added device from the app and you can also see which devices are linked together. Linked devices are scenes. This is a good time to make a list of what you find. Make that list and post back in some detail what you would like to accomplish.
          Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
          Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

peek, you mentioned that the electrician has the 8 button keypad controlling two devices... but only one of them can be wired to the 8 button controller.. what ever is controlled with the top left button (if in toggle) or the top left and right if set up not in toggle where one turns on and brightens and one turns off and dims... so whichever button is controlling there SECOND device that device must have a main switch an inline switch or a plug in module controlling it that is then linked to the 8 button keypad. getting the hub to recognize the keypad should control the light that is wired to it..unless neither device is actually wired to the keypad and the keypad is simply acting as a remote control...

Comment

Working...
            X