signal strength

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

signal strength

With the smart home access point is there aw way to test the signal strength?
    Thinkin g I may need to add a insteon range extender somewhere.
    Every so often, when I press the down arrow on my mini wall remote to close the garage door, which is operated by the 74551 garage kit, the door will go down about 2 feet and stop
    If I wait a minute and press down arrow again it will go down.Thinking it may be a range issue, but if it gets a signal to go down, why would it stop?

That sounds like the I/O Linc set-up. RF either reaches a device or it doesn't. The I/O Linc is powerline only, so you'll need an RF device close by. Not fully closing is a common problem if the relay doesn't stay closed long enough. Try setting the relay to a longer duration.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

thanks, on my phone app I have uder relay mode, momentary checked and momentary duration set at 2 sec., which it set up by default when adding device.
      Do you have advice on where to set to start with?
      Last edited by rajung; 02-26-2018, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Almost all Insteon Dual Band module have a built in communications test. That tests the RF communications between modules and if it is on the same or opposite phase of the incoming power.
        In the full users manuals for the modules you have. It maybe called Four Tap, Beacon or Communications test. You may want to see if they show anything.

Note the 2450 I/O Linc is power line only. So it wold not have a built in test.

Factory defaults.
        No Links. No optional X10 addressees. Sensor input controls relay disabled. Output relay mode set to continuous. Momentary duration 2 seconds.

Comment

Start with something more that 2 seconds as that appears to be too short. It's really not super critical to set a precise value.
          Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

Originally posted by TFitzpatri8
            Sounds to me like your unit is programmed to ‘hold down’ the button too long, causing the door opener to register an error and stop in its tracks.

You can test this manually. If you manually press and hold the physical button connected to the door opener for 2 seconds straight, does it do the same thing? If so, make sure the IOLinc relay is set for momentary operation and the momentary duration is set to better resemble your manual action, maybe 0.3 or 0.5 seconds.
            Interesting. I found just the opposite. The 2 second duration was too brief for both of our somewhat older Genie GDOs. Some experimentation is certainly called for. Fortunately, too long or too brief a duration won't cause any damage.

Comment

I will try those tests tomorrow, thanks for the advice.
              Every time I watch the door it will not do it, it is the once or twice a week when it seems I am in a hurry and not watching is when it seems to do it.

Comment

It was set for momentary
                I changed it from 2, to 5 sec.
                Will try other checks tomorrow.
                Will let you know if
                it does help.
                Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                X