Need to monitor house temperature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to monitor house temperature

I am in the process of converting my 30 yr old X10 system to Insteon. So far things have been going well but I have a need to monitor the temperature of my home while away. I only need to monitor temps not control my HVAC. Is there any Insteon device that will monitor temps. It would be nice to get an alert if the house temp drops below a certain temp, especially when traveling in winter.
    Insteon Hub II (2014) Model:2245-222
    20 Insteon Modules
    Outdoor HD Camera 2864-232
    HD Camera 2864-22X
    SD Camera 75790
    iPhone 7
    Apple Watch

Hoe do you now access your Insteon network when off-site?
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

I use the Insteon App on my iPhone which communicates with the Insteon hub. All devices and camera are accessible remotely. Works great.
      20 Insteon Modules
      HD Camera 2864-22X
      SD Camera 75790
      iPhone 7
      Apple Watch

Comment

Which Hub?
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

I am using Hub II (2014) Model:2245-222
          20 Insteon Modules
          HD Camera 2864-22X
          SD Camera 75790
          iPhone 7
          Apple Watch

Comment

The Insteon wired thermostat is now compatible with the 2245 Hub. You can not only view the temperature and humidity, you can control the thermostat, too

Comment

OK, Thanks. I will check it out.
              20 Insteon Modules
              HD Camera 2864-22X
              SD Camera 75790
              iPhone 7
              Apple Watch

Comment

I had the same needs for functionality and, after reading many reviews of the Insteon thermostat that were not very good, including some here, I purchased an Ecobee3 thermostat. It's been great and done exacting what I've needed. I've been able to monitor my home temps remotely while away, turn up the temp when other family members were going to be there, and set alarms for low temps that send me emails.

I don't use any of the "smart" features of the thermostat as I prefer to set things manually. But all other remote access functions and information features have worked perfectly all winter. The Ecobee3 and Nest products are very similar. I went with the former given slightly better reviews.

I didn't go with Insteon, though it would have been nice to tie it into that system due to the poor reviews, ongoing issues with Insteon customer support, and my continued concern about the long-term viability of the Insteon line.

Comment

Thanks for your input on this topic. I will have a look at the Ecobee3 thermostat. I was hoping that there was a solution that didn't involve a thermostat. Several years ago I installed a I/O bridge device (https://iobridge.com) which allows me to monitor temps and set alerts. This technology is still working but no longer supported/sold. I decided to upgrade my DIY system of X10 and iobridge with Insteon. I choose Insteon because of their comprehensive line of devices and their dual band mesh network technology. So far I have been very satisfied with my Insteon modules and camera. My one call into support left me impressed with the tech I worked with. If I decide to go the thermostat route I would really like to stay in the insteon family. Maybe waiting for insteon to improve things is my best option.
                  20 Insteon Modules
                  HD Camera 2864-22X
                  SD Camera 75790
                  iPhone 7
                  Apple Watch

Comment

Working...
                  X