Where are Alert emails stored?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where are Alert emails stored?

I have a few door sensors installed. When home, I normally shut off the alerts due to the frequency of the doors being opened, but enable them when traveling. This is a Hub configuration using the Android app.

If you look at the alert settings in the app, only one email is listed. But whenever I turn the alert back on, it seems that the alert is being sent to any and all prior emails that had been used for an alert before. For example, after turning on the alert last week, my son told me he had started getting our door alerts. The problem is he moved out over a year ago and he doesn't want to get them.

How do I clear any old alerts/emails from my system?

Thanks,

Anyone? I've found several other posts on various sites with the same question. But no answers yet. How does one clear out old emails from alerts?

Comment

Originally posted by eagle77 View Post
      Anyone? I've found several other posts on various sites with the same question. But no answers yet. How does one clear out old emails from alerts?
      I really hope you don't expect a formal reply from anyone at Insteon?!? These people can't even take the time to answer Beta tester questions which pertain to how to resolve existing bugs in the hardware. This whole Beta testing program has to be the worst run operation I have ever seen or participated in. Now, we have off shore technical support that have a feeble grasp of the English language what a complete sh^t show.

I honestly haven't seen one improvement from the new guy who bought out the company. It seems to be getting worse not better: No communications, no direction, no development, zero presence.
      Want to make a real difference? Please cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-...t/8221-plm-pro

Comment

EVIL Teken, get a clue! Richmond Capital just acquired insteon 5 months ago in June 2017, "Fortifies Company with $7.3 Million".

These guys are not playing around and know exactly what they're doing. As with any acquisition, there's months of internal work to do, Im sure they wont be taking or answering most of the 10,000+ questions in the forum right now. They have alot of work to do right now. Then they will deal with the whiners in the forum.

For those with patience, im sure you will see huge positive changes to the insteon line and brand in the months ahead. IoT is headed to the moon, and these guys know it, and they will be right there. I predict Insteon will be a much much bigger brand than ever before. That said, dont stop the questions or voicing your concerns, or voting for new realities, the big boys are definitely watching now.
        Technology Industry Veteran Rob Lilleness to Lead the Company Irvine, Calif. – June 13, 2017 – Richmond Capital Partners, a private investment firm based in Seattle, today announced the acquisition of Smartlabs Inc., parent company of Insteon®, an Internet of Things (IoT) technology company, and Sma

Comment

My experience is similar to Teken's. I have some home control concerns and the person asked to assist me has dropped the ball. In fact, no help was provided at all other than contact and acknowledgement.
          Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
          Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Originally posted by joehitek View Post
            EVIL Teken, get a clue! Richmond Capital just acquired insteon 5 months ago in June 2017, "Fortifies Company with $7.3 Million".

These guys are not playing around and know exactly what they're doing. As with any acquisition, there's months of internal work to do, Im sure they wont be taking or answering most of the 10,000+ questions in the forum right now. They have alot of work to do right now. Then they will deal with the whiners in the forum.

For those with patience, im sure you will see huge positive changes to the insteon line and brand in the months ahead. IoT is headed to the moon, and these guys know it, and they will be right there. I predict Insteon will be a much much bigger brand than ever before. That said, dont stop the questions or voicing your concerns, or voting for new realities, the big boys are definitely watching now.
            You know this how ~ please do enlighten me as to how you can even know what is going to happen? I am talking from using, supporting, and engaging Smartlabs for more than ten years. I have been dealing with almost every level of the development team which includes being involved with the Beta Program. So my view, replies, and comments are firmly based on historical facts, and present activities.

Yours is based on what?!?!?

Do tell because right now the only two things I have seen first hand is moving sales and technical support to off shore incompetent fools who have a feeble grasp of the English language. Couple this nickle and diming mentality it directed impacted in the loss of American Jobs! Added to the fact not a soul from this so called new team has taken any time to engage the public at large in any way never mind the so called Beta program which for all intents and purposes is dead.

Why dead? Because there isn't a freaking soul in that department that has any common sense to offer insight, help, or resolve bugs that have lasted five years!!! Talk is cheap, lets see some action which directly addresses anything I have posed here.

Are you in this new Insteon / Smartlabs group???

If you're step up to the plate and make things happen . . . If you're just some random person with zero empowerment to do anything then STFU!

If this so called new management is truly watching this specific thread here is what you can do:

- Let UDI build and sell a global 2413S PLM
            - Resolve the ALL ON / ALL OFF bug
            - Fix the 2413S PLM which seems to automagically explode at the 2 year threshold
            - Offer a PLM Pro as seen here: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-...t/8221-plm-pro
            - Update the 120 VAC hardware to support to monitor: watts, amps, volts, KWH, cycle, synchrolinc capabilities
            - Release iCS3 which by God should support true encryption like Z-Wave Gen5 Plus does
            - Increase the RF & Power Line signal to offer more reliability.
            - Offer a Hub that doesn't rely on the cloud which supports conditional logic, RTC, DST, NTP, and has local access
            - Migrate all legacy products to Dual Band: Toggle, I/O Linc
            - Update all the abandoned products from iMeter, Energy Display, Synchro Linc, 240 Load Controller, etc
            - Offer a touch screen that can support other third party hardware and offer a open API
            - Engage all third party vendors to incorporate the Insteon PLM chip into their hardware by offering it free or heavily discounted. Insteon is literally alone save Smartinet!
            - Reopen the developers documents back to the public domain. Who was the stupid idiot that decided to close that out??
            - Global Products: Lets get the train moving by offering all Insteon products that support those regions frequency and power. Its only been five freaking years and nothing new has been released to them!

- Beta Program: Have every engineer available and ready to address this groups issues and feedback. Currently the program is a complete and utter joke run by careless fools who offer zero insight, feedback, or care. Of the hundreds of Beta testers none of us get paid to help the company! We do it to better the product, company, and the public at large. Why stick a needle in the eye to the people who are willing and capable of helping you achieve great things??

Only a f^cken idiot would squander away such technical feedback from the people who know the product . ..

So, if someone is empowered to make a difference in this list by all means. If you feel compelled to engage me directly about anything I wrote please do! I'm not here to blow wind up anyones skirt. I'm here to make the product better by offering critical insight and my user experience in the product(s). As of this writing I am a active Alpha / Beta tester to more than 75 global companies which literally span A-Z.

Yes: Apple, Adobe, Amazon, Aquanta, Autelis, Assa Abloy, Brultech, Bosch, Bose, B&W, Cooper, Chrysler, Cisco, Codex, Disney, DBX, Denon, Drobo, DeWalt, DSI, Fluke, Honda, HP, Harmon Kardon, General Motors, Leviton, Intel, Google, Microsoft, NetFlix, Nakamichi, UDI, Ford, Schlag, Sony, LG, Lucent, JVC, GE, Onkyo, Sycom, Samsung, SanDisk, TrenNet, Toshiba, Weather Flow, Paradox, Pace, Panasonic, Pioneer, Klipsch, Kwickset, Verbatim, Z-Wave, Xerox, ZigBee, etc.

I'm here to make a real difference and that is to promote and help develop the Insteon product line. I can tell you right now if this so called 7.3 million of infusion of funds is directed toward software only.

FAIL . . .

They better start packing their bags if that is the only direction they are headed in.
            Want to make a real difference? Please cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-...t/8221-plm-pro

Comment

Nice post Evil, I like it.
              I do realize there are many frustrated people with how insteon had, and seemingly continues to operate. My comment was based on general business practices, more specifically, acquisitions and the people and process behind it. My remark "get a clue!" and the link to the press release of the acquisition that just happened 5 months ago, simply means; you will likely not see much of a publicly visible change right now. Im sorry if "get a clue!" offended you, but i will not STFU!. and neither should you, this is exactly the stuff I would want to see if I just dropped 7.3 Mil on an acquisition.

My remark "get a clue!" doesn't mean I dislike you, or disagree with you. In fact, I really love your list and all that you have done and continue to do. I just know what the exec's are going through 5 months into this, and their not gonna turn everything around in 5 months.

and Yes, I agree, I do hope they engage the community asap.

Comment

Insults, no matter how subtle, are inappropriate on this forum. Heated discussions are welcome, most especially those that provoke as long as they're respectful. Thanks.
                Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
                Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Insteon was in pretty bad shape when it was purchased so it will take time for everything that they may want to do to come to fruition. New products and change you can see doesn't always happen overnight nor on our timeline. I cant see anyone (regardless of how rich) investing millions of dollars only to continue to do business the same exact way.

As poorly as insteon was ran, I am quite certain that their main focus at this time is simply trying to right the ship and re-build the company into something with a solid foundation. While it may seem to us that they are pushing products out of the door, on the back end, they could be doing things that allows them to come back as a stronger company with firm footing in the automation world. It make zero sense to push out a bunch of products without the back-end support as things will simply crumble as they have. (products that are barely supported years after release). They are much better off building an infrastructure which allows them to truly support existing products, future products, in a way that is viable to us all. While they are rebuilding their infrastructure we don't know what products could be in development. They could potentially have uses and ways for Europeans to use certain products with the ISY without coming out with a new PLM (if not a new PLM). However they still would need to go through certifications etc. which can take time.

Will this mean we get all that we want? No. They will do what best suits them long term. When I look at your list (Teken) of things you want supported its a nice list but even I don't agree with all of them. Simply increasing signal strength doesn't magically just make things better (trust me on that one). That's not to say it cannot be increased at all but it isn't a magic pill. Offering a touchscreen. Personally that's over rated; especially with the general market. For them to make it worth their time and effort and make money off it, they will need to charge more than the avg. insteon customer will want to pay. Its easy as a consumer to say we want things, but will enough of us want to pay what it will cost especially in the age of 100 dollar tablets and free apps!

Even with energy monitoring and updating older products that you speak of. Sounds good. But those products are disco'd for a reason. People didn't buy it. My personal request for an outlet with the syncrolinc capability built in is only for my unique needs. Its a need that doesn't necessarily require a whole line unto itself but an added feature which yes will increase the cost (of which I am willing to pay). I am quite aware that the ROI for this may not be worth it to Insteon however so I can live with that.

The fact is, we are not Insteon nor the standard zwave company customer base. The sooner we realize they are looking to sell products to the masses the less aggravating things will be. We are power users to the umpteenth degree. We are a minute part of their consumer base. To spend thousands on R&D and then thousands more on manufacturing and storage only to sell a few hundred makes no sense in the world.

Even with the all on/off bug. Insteon takes the hit but it only happens with 1 controller on the market. None of the hubs nor computer based softwares have an issue with it. Not to point blame at UDI as I personally love their product and refuse to use any other (though I have been blessed to have most of them). However to simply blame 1 entity when a particular issue doesnt effect anyone else is not fair to them. To be quite fair UDI themselves has stated that both companies are closely working on fixing the issue.

The same with the PLM. It has been universally recognized that there was an issue. It has also been universally recognized that they have been working to improve it. Constantly harping on something that has already been stated as being a problem does not help anyone and only serves to make it look like Insteon isn't trying to do better. Does it seem like they are not doing anything? Of course. But it would seem that way only because older product is still out in the wild. 2 years from now will tell whether or not they are doing better. The other problem I see is that many people are quick to blame insteon (or devices in general) without looking at other alternatives. Look at the Alexa issue at hand as an example. Many people are quick to pin blame on insteon for the system not working. However a quick perusal (before amazon acknowledged it) on other competitors websites would have shed light on the fact that it was not insteon specific.

In regards to the items that I agree with, once again it takes time. Its no secret (as stated earlier) that insteon was poorly ran. Let them figure out where they are at, restructure, and then start rebuilding to improve the company where things can be seen. Rushing into things just to appease a few will only make things worse and in doing so will hurt them not the ones screaming for it.

Even with sales and technical support. While I personally would love to see them here, it will take time to improve that. Even had they simply hired more people, that does not ensure quality (past history backs that up). You could still get terrible support except with an American accent. As their new hires gain more knowledge and experience we will then be able to see. We tend to forget that we are power users. Whether its me, you, Stusviews, Tfitzpatri8, and a few others; we all know more in general than their own support people for a reason. We use Insteon and other hardware extensively. That knowledge was accumulated over years of working with Insteon not days or weeks. Even new hires generally takes months before they have a strong foundation for troubleshooting insteon. This isn't to say outsourcing was a good move. I just feel they need time to learn something that is just as involved had they hired here instead.

Comment

Originally posted by joehitek View Post
                    Nice post Evil, I like it.
                    I do realize there are many frustrated people with how insteon had, and seemingly continues to operate. My comment was based on general business practices, more specifically, acquisitions and the people and process behind it. My remark "get a clue!" and the link to the press release of the acquisition that just happened 5 months ago, simply means; you will likely not see much of a publicly visible change right now. Im sorry if "get a clue!" offended you, but i will not STFU!. and neither should you, this is exactly the stuff I would want to see if I just dropped 7.3 Mil on an acquisition.

My remark "get a clue!" doesn't mean I dislike you, or disagree with you. In fact, I really love your list and all that you have done and continue to do. I just know what the exec's are going through 5 months into this, and their not gonna turn everything around in 5 months.

and Yes, I agree, I do hope they engage the community asap.

My apologies I was out of line using the STFU.

My angst is toward knowing the Insteon product line has so much potential and could be a major force to be reckon with. One must build upon their strengths and also shore up weaknesses. One of the biggest black eye for Insteon are three major things.

- Not engaging third party vendors to incorporate the Insteon PLM chip technology. Some including I have said this boat has sailed away but the reality is anyone including business can remake themselves to do better. I encourage the new owner to use his extensive contacts to have a small to large vendor take this on.

- Which leads to Universal Devices Inc: This small but talented company has single handily pushed Insteon further in adoption but resolved limitations to the Insteon product line. UDI was in the middle of releasing a global 2413S PLM that was built to last and be used all over the world. The sticking point back in the day was not having the ability to flash the EEPROM chips on site in case firmware changes needed to be done.

This business venture must be pushed forward with great haste as this will either help the Smartlabs company to redirect resources else where or at the very least let others know the new management is serious about adoption of their wares.

- Beta Program: Moving forward the company needs to be laser focused in using any and all feedback from the Beta group. This obviously means relaying timely information, break fix, and resolving any and all issues. Communicate and touch base with those who are committed to making the product and company better!

- API Documents & Support: Who ever is in charge of handling and releasing this information needs to do a better job. They need to test, validate, and confirm what the e-docs say is in fact what it will do! The Insteon siren, alert module, and motions sensor II, are the perfect example of FAIL!!

Because the API is not concise, clear, or actually works per the e-docs.

If you produce something how about you actually test it to see if it operates as intended! Speaking of which the latest motion sensor II offers 16 new nodes and attributes. Yet there isn't a damn thing known about when it will be supported or what it does?!!? The freaking product has only been in the wild and sold for what a year!!! Yet this next generation product is hobbled and not usable because everyone who is a developer has to reverse engineer the bloody thing!!

Comment

Originally posted by lilyoyo1 View Post
                      Insteon was in pretty bad shape when it was purchased so it will take time for everything that they may want to do to come to fruition. New products and change you can see doesn't always happen overnight nor on our timeline. I cant see anyone (regardless of how rich) investing millions of dollars only to continue to do business the same exact way.

As poorly as insteon was ran, I am quite certain that their main focus at this time is simply trying to right the ship and re-build the company into something with a solid foundation. While it may seem to us that they are pushing products out of the door, on the back end, they could be doing things that allows them to come back as a stronger company with firm footing in the automation world. It make zero sense to push out a bunch of products without the back-end support as things will simply crumble as they have. (products that are barely supported years after release). They are much better off building an infrastructure which allows them to truly support existing products, future products, in a way that is viable to us all. While they are rebuilding their infrastructure we don't know what products could be in development. They could potentially have uses and ways for Europeans to use certain products with the ISY without coming out with a new PLM (if not a new PLM). However they still would need to go through certifications etc. which can take time.

Will this mean we get all that we want? No. They will do what best suits them long term. When I look at your list (Teken) of things you want supported its a nice list but even I don't agree with all of them. Simply increasing signal strength doesn't magically just make things better (trust me on that one). That's not to say it cannot be increased at all but it isn't a magic pill. Offering a touchscreen. Personally that's over rated; especially with the general market. For them to make it worth their time and effort and make money off it, they will need to charge more than the avg. insteon customer will want to pay. Its easy as a consumer to say we want things, but will enough of us want to pay what it will cost especially in the age of 100 dollar tablets and free apps!

Even with energy monitoring and updating older products that you speak of. Sounds good. But those products are disco'd for a reason. People didn't buy it. My personal request for an outlet with the syncrolinc capability built in is only for my unique needs. Its a need that doesn't necessarily require a whole line unto itself but an added feature which yes will increase the cost (of which I am willing to pay). I am quite aware that the ROI for this may not be worth it to Insteon however so I can live with that.

The fact is, we are not Insteon nor the standard zwave company customer base. The sooner we realize they are looking to sell products to the masses the less aggravating things will be. We are power users to the umpteenth degree. We are a minute part of their consumer base. To spend thousands on R&D and then thousands more on manufacturing and storage only to sell a few hundred makes no sense in the world.

Even with the all on/off bug. Insteon takes the hit but it only happens with 1 controller on the market. None of the hubs nor computer based softwares have an issue with it. Not to point blame at UDI as I personally love their product and refuse to use any other (though I have been blessed to have most of them). However to simply blame 1 entity when a particular issue doesnt effect anyone else is not fair to them. To be quite fair UDI themselves has stated that both companies are closely working on fixing the issue.

The same with the PLM. It has been universally recognized that there was an issue. It has also been universally recognized that they have been working to improve it. Constantly harping on something that has already been stated as being a problem does not help anyone and only serves to make it look like Insteon isn't trying to do better. Does it seem like they are not doing anything? Of course. But it would seem that way only because older product is still out in the wild. 2 years from now will tell whether or not they are doing better. The other problem I see is that many people are quick to blame insteon (or devices in general) without looking at other alternatives. Look at the Alexa issue at hand as an example. Many people are quick to pin blame on insteon for the system not working. However a quick perusal (before amazon acknowledged it) on other competitors websites would have shed light on the fact that it was not insteon specific.

In regards to the items that I agree with, once again it takes time. Its no secret (as stated earlier) that insteon was poorly ran. Let them figure out where they are at, restructure, and then start rebuilding to improve the company where things can be seen. Rushing into things just to appease a few will only make things worse and in doing so will hurt them not the ones screaming for it.

Even with sales and technical support. While I personally would love to see them here, it will take time to improve that. Even had they simply hired more people, that does not ensure quality (past history backs that up). You could still get terrible support except with an American accent. As their new hires gain more knowledge and experience we will then be able to see. We tend to forget that we are power users. Whether its me, you, Stusviews, Tfitzpatri8, and a few others; we all know more in general than their own support people for a reason. We use Insteon and other hardware extensively. That knowledge was accumulated over years of working with Insteon not days or weeks. Even new hires generally takes months before they have a strong foundation for troubleshooting insteon. This isn't to say outsourcing was a good move. I just feel they need time to learn something that is just as involved had they hired here instead.
                      Oh great stealing my thunder yet again!!

All great counter points and many are quite valid but lets not lose sight the 2413S PLM is in its .4 release. They introduced 2.X to resolve the endless two year failures and 2.2, 2.3, were all supposed to resolve it and didn't. Its time to pass the torch to UDI who can produce a solid piece of hardware which also supports global voltages and frequency. Regardless of being a so called power user I still maintain that Insteon must push forward on key fronts because this isn't a nice to have its expected.

- True Encryption
                      - Energy Monitoring
                      - Higher RF & Power Line ~ Move the bloody antenna from the back of the switch for God's sakes will increase the existing signal its not magic its common sense!
                      - Digital KPL: It has already been proven that such a product can be made for under $50.00 USD. If they sell the same or similar for $100~150.00 I'll buy it so long as its open and can support more things besides Insteon. Such as Amazon Echo, weather, 3rd party, Audio/Video, Security, Energy, HVAC, etc

Comment

You know I have to steal
                        ​ a little bit of it. Can't have you hogging up all of the fun.

I'm not saying they can't do anything different. Who knows they could be working on all of those things for all we know. It would still take time for a release to happen. This is especially true with changing the insteon protocol since they would also need it to be backwards compatible with older devices.

While you may be willing to spend 150, that doesn't mean enough other people would be willing to do the same. When you think about it, how many people balk at paying 80 bucks for a kpl due to the price. People are cheap and look for the cheapest item they can find. While the parts to make that unit can be had for less than 50 bucks, an individual doesn't have the same market forces as a company in regards to regulations, certifications, testing, overhead, etc. More than likely such a device would push closer to 200.00 which further lessens the amount of people willing to pay for it. That's why I say many ideas are great but doing it en massé needs to make sense for their bottom line.

Give them time to restructure and right the ship. They've already made progress on fronts that no one noticed such as the dst bugwhich shows they aren't resting on their laurels.

Comment

Give them time to restructure and right the ship. They've already made progress on fronts that no one noticed such as the dst bugwhich shows they aren't resting on their laurels.
                          I guess you missed this thread. http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-...ve-back-1-hour

While I would agree with some of the statements about the time it takes to right a listing ship, my biggest issue is the deafening silence.

Establishing my have-a-clue credentials, I was a senior director of engineering and services for a large, multinational, high-tech corporation. I lived through at least 3 mergers/acquisitions, and innumerable management shakeups. I’ve seen how it can be done well, and how it can be done badly. While I’m watching this one from the customer side, it certainly appears to be one of the latter.

Yes, I understand that changing direction and corporate culture is very hard. Time is needed to do nothing but watch to make sure you understand what is working that should be kept, and what should be tossed, not to mention who is working (or not) and who should be retained.

But first and foremost, you should keep your customers informed. People will be very understanding of the need for change and time it takes if you let them know what is going on and why.

I am seeing a drastic increase in questions and interest about my home automation implementations from friends and family. My son, who has lived in an Insteon home pretty much since the start, now owns his own home and recently bought an Insteon starter kit. I almost suggested that he return it, and when friends ask what I am using, I am somewhat reluctant to recommend Insteon.

Why? Because even though I think it is the best technology out there, I have serious doubts about the future direction, viability, and plans. Hearing nothing from the new management team after 5 months has only reinforced these concerns. A letter laying out managements plans for the future of the product line would go a long way to allay these concerns. It doesn’t need to be specific. Just a “hey, we’re here, we’re committed, and here’s where we hope to go”. Hearing nothing, most will otherwise assume the worst.

The silence and lack of direction is reinforced through poor support and silence from the beta team, toward those whom you would think they’d want to include in any improvement plans and advocacy programs.

I haven’t given up, but I’m getting close…

Last edited by eagle77; 11-22-2017, 12:37 PM.

Comment

You know I have to steal
                            ​ a little bit of it. Can't have you hogging up all of the fun.

I'm not saying they can't do anything different. Who knows they could be working on all of those things for all we know. It would still take time for a release to happen. This is especially true with changing the insteon protocol since they would also need it to be backwards compatible with older devices.

While you may be willing to spend 150, that doesn't mean enough other people would be willing to do the same. When you think about it, how many people balk at paying 80 bucks for a kpl due to the price. People are cheap and look for the cheapest item they can find. While the parts to make that unit can be had for less than 50 bucks, an individual doesn't have the same market forces as a company in regards to regulations, certifications, testing, overhead, etc. More than likely such a device would push closer to 200.00 which further lessens the amount of people willing to pay for it. That's why I say many ideas are great but doing it en massé needs to make sense for their bottom line.

That's fair and hope to see a positive change in 2018. If nothing happens mid (6 months) 2018 I'll be right here blasting away!! In my past life I was involved heavily in corporate restructuring so know what's involved. When I see all the red flags of a misguided ship it simply drives me mad and have to speak up. Anyone can come here or other and complain what I bring are solutions to the problems that will resolve these issues.

Its always top down and the whole trickle effect . . .

The first tenant of any great and successful company is being clear on the vision & goals. Next which comes hand in hand is communications from all branches of the corporation and reducing endless bull sh^t red tape. Every department needs to be assessed as to who are the weak links and who are the people who make things happen. My first job was to sit and watch, learn who these people were.

Once identified any dead wood was fired and sent on their merry way.

Those who could execute and brought fresh and new ideas were brought to the table from janitor to engineer. Everyone has a place in the corporation and as such brings critical insight as to what makes the system tick & break. I've spent more years on the production floor with the people than with senior management.

Why??

Because Senior and Middle management have no freaking clue what's happening on the floor and what obstacles are impacting production, efficiency, theft, waste, etc. The greatest asset any successful company can use and have is their customers. Who ever started the *Wish List* was not only a true genius but showed they had some common sense! Now its time to push forward with many of the ideas and concepts into reality.

This whole cloud first vs local first was created and perpetuated by the f^cken lazy, cheap, and inept . . .

If one is to embrace the whole *Cloud Power* you must do so in full and not in half measures. In 2017 given the massive cloud computing power there is zero reason to have no conditional logic in the Hubs. The whole reason you offered a cheap no frills Hub was because your intended goal was to utilize that *Cloud Power*. As of this writing the whole topology and execution of the Insteon Cloud is a utter fail and any $50.00 Wink Hub / Smartthings proves this out.

Because they have embraced both Open API, Cloud Power, but show case if done right it will operate and have value.

Every company can be great and every company can be a distant memory of the never ending failures of also rans. Lets get the right people, at the right place, and resources to make things great with out the endless red tape and incompetent middle management that have literally put Insteon in the 3rd tier. The company also needs to think about partnerships which on the surface are called lost leaders.

This is where you invest the R&D into products and services that have high value to others and is offered at cost value.

Why???

Because it will enable those 3rd party companies the ability to try before the buy . . .

I can tell you with 100% certainty having been involved with multi-billion corporations nothing gets my attention better than seeing another company that is willing to put or shut up. By offering their product and services and how it can help me make more money. The first guy who can show Cooper, Eaton, Leviton, P&S, etc that integrating with Insteon is another growth track will be enjoying those little umbrella drinks on the beach at *Freedom 55* at 40!

But this all goes back to having the basics in place and that is security and encryption. Nobody is going to take you on if your technology is still from 1980! The push to release iCS3 which incorporates the best in class encryption must be done now. As all else hinges upon what the the basics the system offers never mind QA. There is a reason Leviton and others can offer a solid 5 year warranty on their hardware.

Because quality parts are inside of it and they have cycled the product to determine MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures) and know it will last at least five years if not more! Insteon continues to use no name 3rd tier components for the shear fact its cheap! How will you ever sell more products when you're known to produce items that explode like clock work at the 2 year mark or even less??

You (Insteon / Smartlabs) offer the KPL which costs $79.99 retail. That entire piece of hardware has a real component part cost of less than $5.XX! You can't spend the extra $0.55 cents for better components?!?!

So these are just the thoughts of someone who has been looking from the outside ~ in.

Comment

Originally posted by eagle77 View Post

I guess you missed this thread. http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-...ve-back-1-hour

While I would agree with some of the statements about the time it takes to right a listing ship, my biggest issue is the deafening silence.

Establishing my have-a-clue credentials, I was a senior director of engineering and services for a large, multinational, high-tech corporation. I lived through at least 3 mergers/acquisitions, and innumerable management shakeups. I’ve seen how it can be done well, and how it can be done badly. While I’m watching this one from the customer side, it certainly appears to be one of the latter.

Yes, I understand that changing direction and corporate culture is very hard. Time is needed to do nothing but watch to make sure you understand what is working that should be kept, and what should be tossed, not to mention who is working (or not) and who should be retained.

But first and foremost, you should keep your customers informed. People will be very understanding of the need for change and time it takes if you let them know what is going on and why.

I am seeing a drastic increase in questions and interest about my home automation implementations from friends and family. My son, who has lived in an Insteon home pretty much since the start, now owns his own home and recently bought an Insteon starter kit. I almost suggested that he return it, and when friends ask what I am using, I am somewhat reluctant to recommend Insteon.

Why? Because even though I think it is the best technology out there, I have serious doubts about the future direction, viability, and plans. Hearing nothing from the new management team after 5 months has only reinforced these concerns. A letter laying out managements plans for the future of the product line would go a long way to allay these concerns. It doesn’t need to be specific. Just a “hey, we’re here, we’re committed, and here’s where we hope to go”. Hearing nothing, most will otherwise assume the worst.

The silence and lack of direction is reinforced through poor support and silence from the beta team, toward those whom you would think they’d want to include in any improvement plans and advocacy programs.

I haven’t given up, but I’m getting close…
                              I didn't miss that thread. 2 people having issues versus the multitude from years past tells me there may have been other underlying issues more than the system not working in itself. Either way, the fact that there were 2 is a drastic dropoff from the past which tells me that somebody has been busy. When I see the dropoff of new hub purchases where people were having problems connecting the hub also tells me that someone is busy improving the back-end to alleviate previous issues.

While we may want things yesterday, the fact is, there is no point in throwing good money at bad things. Insteon was a wreck under old ownership. It needed to be redone from top to bottom which is much more important than listening to a few who wants things right now. If they don't strengthen their foundation first, nothing they do now will matter long term.

Insteon is not that large of a company (less than 100 employees) that had piss poor leadership. I've been through mergers myself and can say, all actually took years to fully implement what the new ownership wanted to do. Even within those stable companies there were still hiccups and issues that took time to resolve. People on here are harping after less than 6 months when the company that was purchased was a highly mismanaged company.

Comment

Working...
                              X