Why HUB? Others use direct WiFi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why HUB? Others use direct WiFi

I'm thinking of jumping ship to devices that does not use a hub! My sentiment started when I was having trouble with my IO Linc. It worked for my garage door for two years and all of a sudden I started seeing the yellow status light on my Insteon App. I replaced the outlet that the IO Linc is plugged in to but no luck. I then contacted support and they cannot help me with the problem and they recommended a Range Extender! So I thought of using an Outdoor Plug-In module that I use for outdoor lights during Christmas. I plugged it into the outlet where the IO Linc was plugged in and then use a three-outlet adapter plug so I can plug in the IO Linc piggy back to the Outdoor Plug-In module. What do you know! The IO Linc works. The Outdoor Plug-In module works as well! Why? I thought to myself, well, I should invest on HUB-Less devices because dual-band (wireline and RF) isn't good anymore!

Systems.that use wifi has many limitations. WiFi uses a lot of power so the likelihood of adding sensors are limited/non-existent. This can prevent a person having a true automation experience. With WiFi, the additional issues of wifi connection are still there with devices dropping off and data loss at a distance depending on setup. With other protocols, battery life is greatly increased allowing much more versatility.

In regards to your issue, it sounds like there's a lot of noise on that circuit preventing the signal from getting to the iolinc (it's still Powerline only) by plugging it into the outdoor module (it's dual band) you were able to get the signal to it. The wonderful thing about hub based devices is that if signaling is an issue, as you expand your system this can be mitigated.

To each their own though. There really isn't a perfect protocol and even if there was, every environment is so unique that each situation can have its own issues.

Comment

The I/Olinc has a similar switching power supply in it as the 2413S known to fail after about two years and a few months.
      I also know they beefed up the supply in the later hardware versions.
      So another possibility is it has started to go down hill. Or as pointed out. You now have something causing noise or signal sucking on the circuit. To the I/Olinc.

Comment

Originally posted by firefox111 View Post
        I thought to myself, well, I should invest on HUB-Less devices because dual-band (wireline and RF) isn't good anymore!
        The I/O Linc is powerline only which is why the Range Extender, which is dual-band, worked. So, dual-band is actually an improvement.

OTOH, your free to try another protocol. But be forewarned, every protocol has it's quirks. Personally, I use primarily Insteon and a few Z-Wave devices. But, I really needed a bunch of Z-Wave devices plus Z-Wave Range Extenders to make that network reliable. At this time, all my Insteon devices are dual-band, so no Insteon Range Extenders are needed.

The Hub can't control Z-Wave, so you'll also need a Z-wave manager/controller. The Hub is an entry level device. If you're serious about HA, then I suggest ans ISY which can control both Insteon and Z-Wave.

Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
        Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Originally posted by firefox111 View Post
          I thought to myself, well, I should invest on HUB-Less devices because dual-band (wireline and RF) isn't good anymore!
          Stu's already mentioned that the I/O Linc isn't really a dual-band device, but I do want to address the assertion that Wi-Fi devices are better. In my experience, I find that each protocol has its plusses and minuses. One thing I have noticed is that Wi-Fi and Bluetooth devices can sometimes be more expensive, because they oftentimes have more complex processing needs on the devices themselves if they're not fully dependent on a phone or tablet nearby to always control them.

Comment

Working...
          X