Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Insteon for Hub app and many cameras....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insteon for Hub app and many cameras....

What is the maximum the INSTEON for Hub app can handle when it comes to the number of cameras? I only have 10 cameras added to the app (INSTEON brand HD cameras) but it can never show me all the cameras. It lists them all with the spinning circle, but only about 4 or 5 randomly finally light up with an image, the rest just spin for eternity. The cameras are all fine, I can login to them, view video, etc,, and like I said it's random which ones pop up with an image, it's not static which ones. I've tried Windows 10, Windows 10 mobile and iOS, they all behave the same way. Any recommendations? It's like the hub can't handle connecting to all of them to stream video at once.

Video uses much of available resources. If you want to view more that a few cameras concurrently, then get software (computer) or an app (smartphone) especially designed for IP cameras. Or even an IP DVR.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

The entire purpose of buying INSTEON cameras is to use them in the INSTEON app, otherwise I would have purchased far superior cameras for less money. When you say 'much of available resources' or you referring to the hardware processing power of my INSTEON Hub or my phone? If you are referring to my phone it's not a resource issue there I can assure you. I do have iSpy on a server to do DVR, etc, but the idea behind getting INSTEON cameras was to make it easy to pull them up when I'm away via a single app.

Comment

Like Stus said, you're using up many of the resources that insteon servers have to view your cameras. In order to view that many cameras you would need specialized software/apps designed for that.

When it comes to app based solutions that run through someone else's servers, you will find you will still have some issues as streaming 10+ cameras concurrently is asking a lot

Comment

Insteon cameras are branded Insteon. They're not Insteon devices, they have no Insteon characteristics at all other than being compatible with the Hub. The Hub is a low cost entry level device. As such, it's capabilities are limited. If you need exceeds the ability of the Hub, then you'll need a more sophisticated and costly solution such as software or an ISY.

The resources that get used up are those of the Hub itself.
          Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

Would the hub pro handle this any better?

Comment

The hub pro doesn't support cameras at all. The insteon cameras can be used with third party camera apps such as IP cam viewer and foscam

Comment

Even if the Pro could handle cameras, all Insteon Hubs are entry level devices and have the same (limited) processing power.

Comment

Working...
                X