Setup time for 2242 vs 2245 Hub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setup time for 2242 vs 2245 Hub

Noticed on a table towards the bottom of the following page it suggests the newer 2245 Hub cuts down the setup time from
    15-30 minutes to 3-5 minutes.
    http://www.smarthome.com/insteon-2245-222-hub.html

What exactly has changed to make this big of a difference? Also has any of the menus for iPhone or Android changed with between 2242 vs 2245?

It's the same exact app. No difference. The 2242 has to be manually port forwarded while the 2245 does not which saves time

Comment

Sorry but this port forwarding is only for us to access from outside the home through the Internet, right?
      How does the 2245 achieve this without manual port forwarding? I once read that the Hub (don't know which model) needs to access a remote service on the web. Is this to alleviate the manual port forward and provide a means for us to connect remotely via an Insteon cloud or something?

Comment

Many devices can setup remote access w/o needing to manually open a port. The device that allows secure access is called a portal. The portal is built into the 2245 Hub.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
        Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Can we elaborate on this mechanism a bit more for both the 2245 and 2242 Hubs? I am putting a proper firewall in front of it without remote VPN for mobile users. I need to know what it is doing.
          So questions:
          1) Is it achieved by connecting outward to an external cloud and then the mobile users access this cloud?
          2) If above is yes, can we disable it and use alternate means such as port forward so the firewall can route the incoming connection to the Hub's IP and port.
          3) I suppose there is some sort of authentication used for accessing the device, can you elaborate on how this works?

Comment

1. Yes.
            2. The 2242 Hub requires port forwarding. The 2245 does not nor should port forwarding be used at all. You can disable connecting to the cloud. Scenes and schedules will continue to function. Alerts will not.
            3. For the 2242 security depends on how your LAN is setup. The 2245 uses a secure portal.
            Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

stusviews thanks. Some final questions:
              "The 2242 Hub requires port forwarding. The 2245 does not nor should port forwarding be used at all. You can disable connecting to the cloud. Scenes and schedules will continue to function. Alerts will not."
              I can't live with a product that would initiate connection to the cloud so will opt for 2242. However are there any functionality I need to know that would be missing in the 2242 aside from I think Amazon Echo?

"For the 2242 security depends on how your LAN is setup. The 2245 uses a secure portal."
              Sorry I was referring to who is permitted to access to view / control devices. For example:
              a) Is it the case that each user will register for their own account and then can use their account to login to view and control devices?
              b) Each user will then be permitted to do specific things (eg an admin user can configure and make changes, while casual users can only view / control devices but not apply changes, etc)?
              c) Some users will be entitled to more privileged access (eg each person can only view the video feed from their own bedroom)?

Sorry I tried reading the manual but these topics are not clear.

Comment

Each and every Hub requires a cloud connection for basic, but required tasks such as adding devices and creating scenes and alerts.

The Hub does not have "guest access." One and only one user name/password is allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by stusviews View Post
                  Each and every Hub requires a cloud connection for basic, but required tasks such as adding devices and creating scenes and alerts.
                  Sorry I thought given the 2242 Hub requires port forwarding for users to connect and manage the device from outside, it therefore does not require the cloud.
                  What you are suggesting is that even the 2242 Hub requires to make connection to the cloud? Is it a matter of checking if there are firmware updates, or new device info to download, etc? What else is it using the cloud for?

Comment

The cloud is required to add devices, create scenes and schedules all of which, once set up, will continue to function without the cloud. Also, a backup of your setup is created. Alerts, updates and off-site access will not be available.

Comment

TFitzpatri8 thanks for the clarifications but none of the mentioned actually require a cloud to work. You mentioned "web API (for the 2245) used by Amazon's Echo service, Logitech's Hub, Sonos, Nest". Does this mean the 2242 won't support Sonos? Would either the 2242 or the 2245 support ONVIF cameras on the mobile app?

If I deny permission from the Hub to access anything on the WAN side assuming there will only be one person (the admin) who will connect to the Hub via a mobile app but only from a local address?

Comment

Working...
                      X