Ground Fault Interrupter Ciruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ground Fault Interrupter Ciruits

Is there a work around so that Insteon modules can be scheduled on GFIC circuits?

Depends on the brand and age of the GFCI receptacle. I don't have a list of compatible brands, but most newer receptacles will work. What is the brand and age of the one you;re having difficulty with?
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Originally posted by Chippendog View Post
      Is there a work around so that Insteon modules can be scheduled on GFIC circuits?
      I am not sure what you mean by *scheduled* can you elaborate on that a little?
      Want to make a real difference? Please cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-...t/8221-plm-pro

Comment

Adding to the chorus...you need to supply more info. I have many modules on GFCI circuits and they work fine

Comment

I have 2 separate GFCI protected circuits, about 20 years old, but work properly. Trying to use 2 modules on each circuit to control outside low voltage lights. App will find one module on each circuit, but will not find the second. Even when it finds the one module, it will not let me schedule an on/off time. I can put in a schedule, but as soon as I leave the scheduling section and come back to it the on time has disappeared. There is no problem turning them on/off with my iPhone, but just will not let me schedule. All other modules & cameras that I have that are on other circuits work perfectly.

Comment

That seems to be a Hub problem. Remove one module that you can schedule (temporarily) and try to schedule the problem module. Another method is to install the problem module someplace else and try to schedule it. Then move it to whrer you want. BTW, which specific modules are you having difficulty with.
            Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

I have moved the modules, (2635-222), around and I can get them to schedule on other household circuits, just not on the circuits with the GFCI's. Could possibly be the hub, I've tried every other conceivable scenario. Thing is, at one time, about 7 or 8 months ago, I could schedule 3 of the 4 and they worked OK.

Comment

Have you ensured that you have bridged the opposite legs of the split, single-phase electric supply using the 4-tap/beacon test?

Comment

Not sure what you mean by 4-tap/beacon test. I do have 2 access points, one on each phase of my home wiring.

Comment

How have you ensured that the Access Points are on opposite legs of the split, single-phase electric supply?

Comment

Originally posted by Chippendog View Post
                      Not sure what you mean by 4-tap/beacon test. I do have 2 access points, one on each phase of my home wiring.
                      The 4 tap (beacon) test is outlined in the full users manual. Essentially you will tap the set button four times very quickly which will initiate a RF beacon to any nearby Insteon device.

Newer model Insteon devices will blink red indicating that device is on the same electrical leg as the initiator. Whereas if it blinks green it indicates its on the opposite side of the electrical leg of the power supply.

If the two AP (Access Points) RE (Range Extenders) are placed in the correct place one of them should blink green. If the responding RE/AP does not blink at all it indicates its either out of RF range or there is noise present that is either a noise maker / signal sucker.

Having said all of this it should be noted that the On-Off Relay Module can be programmed to turn off either RF / Powerline communications. I would verify that the RF portion has not simply been disabled.

As I recall none of the HUB II / HUB Pro smartphone Apps allow this feature to be changed though.
                      Want to make a real difference? Please cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-...t/8221-plm-pro

Comment

FYI. If you try the four tap test on a 2635-222 it will NOT start its built in Beacon Test. You have to follow the Local Programming Flow Chart in the users manual to start its built in Beacon Test.

To clarify. My 2635-222R Hardware 1.1S Firmware v.46 will not work with the four tap test only the flow chart. I have no data on newer or older hardware/firmware On/Off Modules.
                        The ISY controller can also toggle the RF, power line and other option in them.

Comment

Originally posted by BLH View Post
                          FYI. If you try the four tap test on a 2635-222 it will NOT start its built in Beacon Test. You have to follow the Local Programming Flow Chart in the users manual to start its built in Beacon Test.

To clarify. My 2635-222R Hardware 1.1S Firmware v.46 will not work with the four tap test only the flow chart. I have no data on newer or older hardware/firmware On/Off Modules.
                          The ISY controller can also toggle the RF, power line and other option in them.
                          This must be another bug in the Smartlabs implementation of the flow chart method as I have the same hardware and firmware as you. They all react to the 4 tap beacon test when initiated locally.

I honestly haven't seen any new Insteon device that follows the flow chart method which makes no sense when reading it. I gave the manual to four other engineers and none of them could understand what the hell was being depicted!

Ha . . .

Comment

The sales page and manual also say NO X10 support. I have an X10 address in all six of them.
                            Though they are not the latest Hardware 1.1S and 1.3. Firmware v.46 and v.48.

I had seen reports that some needed a real rapid set of set button pushes. I tested again with both a slow and rapid button pushs. Still I could not get them to beacon test. Oh well.
                            Last edited by BLH; 12-31-2015, 05:32 PM.

Comment

I've tried the 4 tap beacon test and the access points are on separate phases. Have tried just about everything, so I'm going to go with the hub having a problem. Will probably buy a new hub and see if that solves the problem, if not I'll just go back to X10 modules with the old X10 software that I still have on a netbook that works. Thanks everyone for your input.

Comment

Working...
                              X