LampLinc and led decorations not going fully 'off'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LampLinc and led decorations not going fully 'off'

Now this is a fun quirk. I have perhaps 10+ lamplinc's around the home for an indoor-pm lightning scene. For the holidays many of these lamps are replaced with some form of holiday decoration. In two places there are rather small x-mas trees that use some form of led bulbs. When the device is turned off the lights are still lit at perhaps 5%. How is this possible? I totally understand the issues of dimmers and low-voltage LED's and the flicker that can happen when the dimmer can't do its job with a lack of power draw.. but in this case.. shouldn't OFF really be OFF? I went around the house and the only two trees that are LED's are these two. All others go off. If need be I can install my wattmeter and measure the power draw. But man this is a mental trip. Off isn't off? lol.

Is this a known issue? If so I can live with it. I'd just like to understand the issue.

Yes known issue. Not just with Insteon but also with X10 dimmer or appliance modules and older Insteon Appliancelincs.

Small local control Sensing Voltage on the output outlet. Is enough to keep low power LED strings glow dimly.
    Put a power tap on the Lamplinc Outlet. Plug a 4 watt incandescent night light and the LED string in to the LampLinc.
    Some have added a 33K Ohm 1 watt resistor in a AC plug.

You may have seen that there is a Local Control Sensing disable setting for the LampLinc but the voltage is still there. The local control switch being toggled is just ignored.
    Last edited by BLH; 12-20-2015, 08:11 AM.

Comment

If the LEDs are not rated as dimmable, then you will considerable reduce the life of either the LEDs, the LampLincs or both. That's because TRIACs clip the AC waveform even at 100% brightness. The correct device to use for non-dimmable loads is the On/Off Moduel.
      Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
      Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Working...
      X