Using the PC USB Interface 2413U with the HUB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using the PC USB Interface 2413U with the HUB

I recently set up a new Insteon hub and added several devices and it is working excellent. I plan to add a camera next. Can the PowerLinc modem be used along with the Hub? Is their any advantage to have both on my system? Having the ability to use the Windows HouseLinc would be nice. Any suggestions or is it overkill for an average home installation?

Although you can use another Insteon manager alongside the Hub, note that HL does not fully support or support at all some current Insteon devices. I did use HL with the Hub, primarily for events, but had to end use due to the restriction I mentioned.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

I have both Hub 2 and Houselinc with 2413U PLM on my system. They work independently, but Houselinc does get the updated status of the devices even if the hub is making the changes. I like the Houselinc interface to keep all the device links documented and to find/fix broken or incomplete links. As far as events, the capability of the Hub is somewhat limited compared to Houselinc. For example, with houselinc you can set up an event that is triggered by a device, such as a door open/close or the OFF action of a switchlinc device. You can also create sequences that have time delays, such as leaving a light on for 2 minutes after the garage doors close to give you time to exit the garage.

The Hub 2 and app are good for basic operations, but the events are limited to on/off times or sunset/sunrise, and you can only have one that uses any given time-of-day setting. However, you can put multiple responders into a single event that uses one of these times.

I am disappointed that Houselinc is no longer supported, and newer devices are not recognized. I'm currently exploring other software to see if it is worth making the switch.

Comment

Working...
      X