Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

About to ditch $400 worth of Insteon products. Simply not working for me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About to ditch $400 worth of Insteon products. Simply not working for me.

I purchased the Assurance kit as well as outlink wall socket, camera, couple more leak detectors, access point, mini remote and some other miscellaneous items. I specifically purchased the system because I am a quadriplegic and needed to automate my house so I can control it from the bedside. After installing everything and it initially worked to a certain extent, I am now constantly having to absolutely reset every single module except for the leak sensors because they go unknown. It does me no good if I cannot use the system the way it was intended. Constantly having to have somebody reset modules is becoming a daunting process and almost to the point where it's not worth it anymore. I had high hopes for these products and perhaps it has something to do with my house or some other issue. But at this point it is simply not working. Thanks. James

Resetting modules will ordinarily make problems worse, not better. This is because performing a factory reset will erase the links that tell devices they are authorized to work with each other.

Finding and troubleshooting interference issues and creating a robust Insteon network is pretty straightforward for most, but your circumstances may mean that by the time you get help for troubleshooting the cause of the interference has already turned off. Your best bet is to take inventory of devices connected to your home power lines or which use 900 MHz RF communications for comparison with known troublemakers, then to recruit live help that can run tests while the problem is occurring.

Do you have a Windows computer that can run the free HouseLinc software? What city are you located in?

Comment

I don't know if should have said I was resetting them. The lightbulb, the two dimmer modules on lamps constantly go missing and are yellow within the Windows 8 insteon app as well as the android app. At first I deleted them as they went yellow. Then I would reauthorize the deleted modules.. Everything would work for a certain amount of time and then I would go back to use the system in the Windows App and they would all be yellow again. Perhaps it is user error however, I am somewhat tech savvy and can grasp the notions of the system. It's just somewhat frustrating having it working in one instance and then when needing at it doesn't function.

I am currently using the Windows 8 App as well as the android app. I live in Aurora Colorado.

I love the system when it works and people are constantly amazed that I can't magically control the lighting system and it would be so much help for disabled people. And not to mention it is an excellent price far below competitors and the company partnered with Microsoft makes it even more compelling. Just trying to resolve the issues is difficult when you are relying on other people. Thank you so much for your prompt reply. Looking forward to any other suggestions. And I certainly will offer a retraction once the system is up and running on a consistent basis. I really want this to work.
      Last edited by jwr72co; 06-28-2014, 01:34 PM.

Comment

What you are experiencing is nearly always caused by something on the powerline interfering with the INSTEON signal, not the devices themselves. The current dual-band (both RF and powerline) devices are less prone to powerline noise, but not entirely trouble-free. Troubleshooting involves disconnecting/unplugging suspect devices. Just turning something off won't help. Some more troublesome devices include surge suppressors, UPSs and wall warts, but anything electronic is suspect. And, as TFitzpatri8 pointed out, any RF device near 900 MHz, for example some cordless phones and baby monitors and even wireless cameras.

Also, the Hub should be plugged directly into a wall outlet.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
        Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

It is going to be pretty difficult to troubleshoot. I already know one of my problems with the two dimmer modules. I have them both plugged into a power strip(which I knew I shouldn't have after seeing it in the troubleshooting section of the dimmer modules) however, there are so many electrical devices the in this room alone there wouldn't be enough wall outlets to plug all of them Into a wall outlet directly. And if you have 2 nightlights and you wanted to control them with dimmer modules how many houses have only one outlet near the bed for instance. And that still doesn't account for why the light goes missing which is plugged directly into an Insteon Outlink wall socket. So obviously something is causing interference with that. Could it be the telephone, or perhaps the scores of AC/DC power adapters plugged into different devices, could it be the refrigerator or the air conditioner? You see what I'm getting at how difficult it can get. Not to mention the devices go missing at random times so trying to unplug something that could be causing interference and figure out if it's causing the problem would be almost impossible.

So it's possible I would like to go over some questions. To narrow it down.
          Is it the fact of just having power strips plugged in throughout the house the problem or specifically having the Insteon devices plugged into a power strip that is a problem. It is there a remedy for that every single electrical device in this room needs to be plugged in to something and there are not enough wall outlets for them all hence needing some sort of power strip.

By the way, the hub is plugged directly into a wall outlet.
          Last edited by jwr72co; 06-29-2014, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Power strips come in different designs. Only some of those that feature noise/surge suppression can be a problem, as they can absorb or corrupt passing signals. Multi-outlet strips and cubes that do not have noise/surge protection do not absorb power line signals.

Comment

As TFitzpatri8 indicated. power strips are not a problem, surge protection strips can be. So are some wall warts. But, it's OK to plug a power strip into a FliterLinc and plug the power adapter(s) into the powerstrip. Appliances and telephones are unlikely to cause problems, unless it's a 900 Mhz cordless phone.

Something plugged into an OutletLinc can be affected if a problem device is connected to the same circuit as the OutletLinc. That may be easier to troubleshoot by turning off that circuit and seeing what doesn't power up.
              Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

I will see if the power strip that the two different modules are plugged into it has any sort of surge protection built-in and if so I will replace them. Checking to see if the phone might be the problem as well. Thank you for your prompt reply. Sorry to be such a pain. Hopefully this thread will help somebody else as well.

Comment

Try plugging the INSTEON modules directly into a wall outlet. And, relax. Your concerns are what the forum is about.

Comment

Absolutely 100% relaxed. Just contacted technical support they advised me to get a new hub. Because if I unplug the hub and plug it back in all of the unknown devices magically appear again. So before I do that, I wanted to run it by the experts in the forum. Does this sound correct to you guys?

Comment

Hello Jwr72co,
                      ​Can you update us? What is the status of your system?

Hello Everyone,
                      ​I am considering installing a system but it has to have a very high "WAF" (wife acceptability factor). I am starting with just needing the system to turn on two switches for exterior lights at night, turn on the stairway lights when approached, dim the lights in the living room, and I need the system to monitor if the garage door is open or closed and send me an alert to my Windows Phone if open.

​Can anyone confirm that this is all possible, easy to set up, and does anyone have experience that this will work consistently without maintenance?

​Does the HouseLink software work with the Hub? Is it intended to? I have hunted for information about using both the Hub and Houselink software but haven't found anything? Maybe it is one or the other?

​Any thoughts, insights, advice would be appreciated.

​Best Wishes,

​Kevin.
                      Last edited by KevinRush; 11-03-2014, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Everything except the WAF is easily accomplished including using HouseLinc and the Hub together as long as certain restrictions are met. My experience is that the WAF takes a little (or a long) time, but is eventually embraced.

I even get an occasional request

Comment

Originally posted by jwr72co View Post
                          It is going to be pretty difficult to troubleshoot. I already know one of my problems with the two dimmer modules. I have them both plugged into a power strip(which I knew I shouldn't have after seeing it in the troubleshooting section of the dimmer modules) however, there are so many electrical devices the in this room alone there wouldn't be enough wall outlets to plug all of them Into a wall outlet directly. And if you have 2 nightlights and you wanted to control them with dimmer modules how many houses have only one outlet near the bed for instance. And that still doesn't account for why the light goes missing which is plugged directly into an Insteon Outlink wall socket. So obviously something is causing interference with that. Could it be the telephone, or perhaps the scores of AC/DC power adapters plugged into different devices, could it be the refrigerator or the air conditioner? You see what I'm getting at how difficult it can get. Not to mention the devices go missing at random times so trying to unplug something that could be causing interference and figure out if it's causing the problem would be almost impossible.

So it's possible I would like to go over some questions. To narrow it down.
                          Is it the fact of just having power strips plugged in throughout the house the problem or specifically having the Insteon devices plugged into a power strip that is a problem. It is there a remedy for that every single electrical device in this room needs to be plugged in to something and there are not enough wall outlets for them all hence needing some sort of power strip.

By the way, the hub is plugged directly into a wall outlet.
                          It sounds like you're facing a complex troubleshooting situation with your dimmer modules and Insteon devices. I understand that having multiple electrical devices in the room and limited wall outlets make it difficult to plug everything directly. The random occurrence of devices going missing further complicates the issue. It could be challenging to identify the exact cause of interference with so many potential sources like telephones, power adapters, refrigerator.

To narrow down the problem, it would be helpful to address some questions. Firstly, you mentioned the possibility of power strips being the problem or specifically having the Insteon devices connected to a power strip. Is there a specific issue with using power strips in general, or is it related to the interaction between power strips and Insteon devices? Exploring remedies for this situation is important since all the electrical devices in the room require power, and there aren't enough wall outlets available.
                          Last edited by INSTEON John; 07-21-2023, 12:24 PM. Reason: Erased hidden code linked to a non-relevant web site like spam

Comment

Working...
                          X