Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 Wire and a fan..

Good Day ..

​Currently in my daughters room she has a ceiling fan controlled by a wall switch. There are three wires in the box at the wall switch and also in the box at the fan counting the ground.

​Initially I was looking at replacing it with a 274DWH two wire dimming switch but after doing research, I found out that is not good at all, possibility of starting a fire.

​I found a 2476s non-dimming two wire switch. Does that have the same issues as a dimming one?

​If the answer is yes, what other approach would you recommend?

​I have installed 5 other switches in the house and they all have four wires in them. My daughters room does not..

​Thanks for the advice and help in advance..

​Ralph

I just reread the specs and the 2476s does require a neutral wire.

​So, now based upon only three wires including the ground at the fan and the box, what are my options?

​Again thanks in advance for any help..

Comment

Install a Micro On/Off Module in the ceiling box. Change the wiring in the ceiling box so that the wall box has line and neutral. Install a SwitchLinc in the wall box and cap the load wire. Link the SwitchLinc as a controller of the Micro Module. It doesn't matter if you use a dimmer or non-dimmer, but the non-dimmer clicks and the dimmer is silent.

Or install a FanLinc in the ceiling box if you want speed control. You can use a dimmer or, preferably, a KeypadLinc to control the speed.
      Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
      Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Stu,

​"Change the wiring in the ceiling box so that the wall box has line and neutral"

​Do you mean run a new wire? There are only two wires at the fan box and the switch box., white and black..

​Thanks in advance

Comment

No new wires are required. If the switch has only black and white wires than the white wire is connected to line at the fixture (there will be a black wire connected to a white wire) and the black wire is connected to the fan.

Reconnect the wires going to the switch so that black is line and white is neutral. That will provide power for the SwitchLinc or KeypadLinc. At the fixture, connect line and neutral to either a Micro Module or FanLinc. Connect the load from whatever you install in the ceiling box to the fan.

Finally, link the device in the switch box as a controller of the device in the ceiling box.
          Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
          Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Another question, do I need the KeypadLinc? Can I control the FanLinc from the Insteon Hub with phone or laptop, etc?

​The existing switch would always needed to be on or even removed then.

Comment

Working...
            X