Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SmartLinc Questions (First post...wrong spot??)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SmartLinc Questions (First post...wrong spot??)

Sorry if this post is in the wrong spot.
    Seems I'm back to re-configuring the various thousand things on my network again. Change in the Cable Internet hardware due to a change in service (dropping phone service)...

I have not kept up with changes at Insteon / SmartLabs, etc., but it looks to me like the Smartlinc 2412N (going by memory...I'm at work right now) is discontinued.. is that right?

As I was reconfiguring, I found that I could no longer connect to SmartLinc. (Locally- hardwired, mobile, locally saying external, etc.)

So... I reset the SmartLinc to factory defaults.
    My router was configured to allot IP 192.168.1.128 to the device.
    After reset- and a lot of different trial and error, I got to the familiar page in my browser that reads, "...your device IP is... 192.168.1.128..." and lists the MAC and other information.
    But the link will not work when I click on it.
    I cannot ping (cmd window on a connected computer) the IP with a confirmed hit.
    The webpage times out, regardless of whether I pick "new user" "existing user" or "advanced connect" in the mobile app.
    The webpage times out on a connected computer, of course.
    For some reason, I get as far as the "Your device is on ip..." page, but things go no further.

Now, my router used to be configured to forward Port 88 to Insteon, and I think the reason was because my darned IP blocks Port 80.

My impressions right now are as follows. Please correct as you see fit:
    Since I reset the unit, it sees itself as Port 80, 192.168.1.128. (I believe I should still be able to ping the thing locally, right???)
    When I connect with a mobile device, I'm guessing that it goes out to a site associated with the SmartLinc to pull the correct IP address?
    I must have been able to get onto SmartLinc at some point, and change the port it used to 88 right? But how?? My configuration was all over the place before, until I got the thing to work, but for the life of me, I can't get there again. Connect a laptop straight to the Smartlinc??? Nah, that sounds stupid.... thoughts??

Your SmartLinc has probably lived its lifespan, especially if it's more that two years old. The current replacement is the [url="http://www.smarthome.com/insteon-2245-222-hub.html"]Hub (2245-222).
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Stu- Do you mean it probably wore out or probably won't do what I want it to?
      What about the HousLinc PC interface? (PowerLinc USB Modem 2413UH)

Nothing like throwing $150 every few years into the wind... please clarify when you can.
      Thanks!

Comment

There have been a number of users who indicated that their SmartLinc ceased to function after about two years. Mine is older, so it's not every SmartLinc. But your symptoms mimic the problem others have had. The HousLinc PLM is not WAN accessible and there have been no HouseLinc updates in more that a year, so that does not seem to be a viable solution. Especially because HL does not fully support newer devices.

We've all experienced where our equipment has been made obsolete by technology, for example HDTV.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
        Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Assuming your SL hasn't died you can try to connect to the unit via a cross over cable. I have gone through four of these units and its safe to say 2-3 years was the maximum you would see it operate.

Great little box that had some really cheap parts stuck inside . . .
          Teken . . .

Comment

Gotcha.
            Anyone happen to recall a situation where one was torn apart and fixed by replacing the PLC or other component(s)?

Comment

I have not seen a post on a successful repair.
              I have seen reports that it was the network Daughter Board that failed. Most times with overheated and burned components.

Comment

Originally posted by Savage223 View Post
                Gotcha.
                Anyone happen to recall a situation where one was torn apart and fixed by replacing the PLC or other component(s)?
                I was going to replace a few capacitors in a few or even swap out some boards from the others to see. But, soon lost interest in doing so as I had many other projects on the go. I may very well give it a go in the future or worst case send it in to our engineering department and get one of the mad scientist to give it a one over.
                Teken . . .

Comment

Working...
                X