Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Multiple Users - How do I set it up ? Can I ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple Users - How do I set it up ? Can I ?

I happily hooked up the INsteon system that I bought - Motion Sensor, and switch for outlet worked flawlessly. Still struggling with the camera but I'll save that for another rpost.

​In short - My question is - How do I set up multiple users for the system ? Hard to believe that only ONE person can access the system when almost ALL households have multiple people living together under one roof. What good is the alerting if only I see the alerts and my wife cannot...

​I must be missing something simple ?

Everyone needs to use the same user name and password. That shouldn't be not a problem. It's not a social network, it's control of lighting. alerts, etc.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

I believe there are two issues here: 1) being multiple account users and 2) multiple alert recipients.

The explanation related to multiple account users seems reasonable; however, multiple recipients for alerts also seems reasonable.

Selecting a device that allows alerts through the 'devices', 'edit devices' sequence allows for the input of an email/text address.when either the on alert or off alert tab is selected. However, only one such address is permitted. If multiple addresses are inputted they are ignored. ACTUALLY it doesn't seem to matter what email address is supplied, the mail will always go to the email used as the account name. Insteon has got to get more real world people to work in their development area.

It would appear on the surface that Insteon could implement such a simple capability allowing multiple recipients to receive alerts.
      Last edited by JEM2114; 12-09-2014, 01:21 PM. Reason: It is even worse than I thought

Comment

Hey Guys... well i think that you can create one account that could be share it with other users. I believe that is most helpfull especially for one who has a big big family...! If you are interested to find new ways to share your smart home you could take a look here

Comment

Sensorflare is a recent startup projecting a promising option; however, to be useful based on this topic, the fee based option will be required. Also, it will require manufacturers to participate. It is worth watching to see if they can fulfill the promise.

Alerts aren't always confined to the family. Home watching by a neighbor is a common practice, particularly in the case of a vacation home. Email/text alerts are intended to be dynamic, whereas using the app is based on casual activity. It would not be reasonable to expect everyone, including say a neighbor, to share one email address or phone number, nor is it reasonable for all family members to share one address although it can be accomplished. Using the account login email address opens up the issue of security and unintended tampering.

On a technology implementation note, it is not an acceptable practice to offer up a user option to change a parameter and then completely ignor the input. That is what occurs within the ios app when attempting to change the email option of the alerts.

I chose the Insteon option because of product offerings and the no-fee based access. The premium cost of Insteon products should more than provide for a feature rich access capability at no additional cost to the user.

Comment

Originally posted by TFitzpatri8

I can send notifications to multiple people here. When I set up the notification, if I click on the phrase 'On Alert' or 'Off Alert', I can edit the To Email or To SMS and add or subtract recipients. Just add a comma and another email address, or a comma and another phone number in the same format as the first one -- +(country code)(phone number)
            I edited a simple on/off switch to send multiple emails using the proper structure and the email each time the on/off was triggered went to the email address used as the logon account. Multiple attempts were made varying the email address including not including the email of the account. Each time the email went to the email used as the email account.

Comment

Which platform and app version? I just tested with iOS v.1.9.7. The first time, it sends an approval request to use the new email address. Once I approved, messages went out to multiple addresses as described.
              iPad Air, iOS 8.1.2

Insteon app ver. Is 1.9.7

Didn't receive the confirmation email.
              Last edited by JEM2114; 12-11-2014, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Which platform and app version? I just tested with iOS v.1.9.7. The first time, it sends an approval request to use the new email address. Once I approved, messages went out to multiple addresses as described.
                Attempted multiple and various combinations and received the confirmation twice, but the combinations resulting in the email weren't duplicable.

Set the " clear database" option in the Insteon app location in iPad settings with no apparent effect.
                Pressing the "Alert on" or "Alert off" toggle results in resetting email to email used as account logon.

What exactly is the procedure for getting alerts to send multiple emails?

Using Insteon app 1.9.7 on an iPad Air switch IOS 8.1.2

Comment

Working...
                X