Micro on/off Modules Triggered by Motion Detectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Micro on/off Modules Triggered by Motion Detectors

Hello, I have installed (2) micro on/off modules triggered by motion detectors installed at the top and bottom of a long exterior stairway. The micro modules control low voltage lighting transformers for tree lights that shine down on the stairs. The micro modules are linked. The plan was that when you start up or down the stairway, the motion detectors would trigger the micro modules and the lights would stay on until a specified time after motion was no longer detected. BUT, as you walk up, or down the stairs the lights come on when initially triggered by the first motion detector, but then go off when motion is detected by the 2nd motion detector. The triggered reaction to the 2nd motion detectors activation turns all the lights off. The micro modules' trigger seems to react to any change in current. Relay energized - any trigger (any change in current ) will de-energize / Relay de-energized - any trigger will energize.

I am using the yellow wire in a "latching" set up, wired as shown on smarthome website. Should I be using the purple wire, but that shouldn't make a difference.

I am wondering if anybody else has encountered a similar problem with the micro modules, and if possible found a work around they would be willing to share. Or, if anybody else could shine some light on this subject. Possibly another wiring set up ( momentary, or ?) might solve the problem....Help!

Thanks, Mike

Which motion detectors? Which Insteon software/hardware are you using?
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Rab mini stealth motion detectors 120 volt. No controller - micro modules are just linked to each other independent of the rest of the house and the smartlinc controller.

Comment

When I remove the motion detectors I can mimic the sensing action of the motion detectors by touching the "hot" wire to the wire connected to the yellow sensing wire on the micro module and create the same undesirable results. It seems to be a problem in the basic nature of the micro modules: maybe they're just not designed for this sort of application. Or, I'm just really missing something.

Comment

Originally posted by zapdog View Post
          Rab mini stealth motion detectors 120 volt. No controller - micro modules are just linked to each other independent of the rest of the house and the smartlinc controller.
          Using only the RAB sensors linked to the Micro Modules, how did you create the logic that the second sensor, which varies with up or down, turns the load off?
          Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

Hi TFitzpatri8,

I have them wired for latching. But they seem to toggle back and forth between on an off with any change in current on the sense wire. Is there a way to disable this toggling feature between on and off during setup?. This is a client's house which has been faithfully served by a smartlinc controller for a number of years. I really don't want to introduce an ISY controller to the mix just for this unexpected perdicament.

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Hi stusviews,

I'm not sure if your question in your last post was directed to me. Well anyway, I not sure what your asking... if by "logic" you mean programming, the micro modules were merely linked so if one turns on - it turns on the other and visa-versa. The creation of such "logic" seems to be just a product of how the micro modules behave presently. I can apply current to the sense wire on micro module "A" and then both "A" and "B" will turn on; then apply current to the sense wire on module "B" and both "A" and "B" will turn off.... Not exactly, what I had in mind where if current is applied to sense wire "A" both modules come on, then when current applied to sense wire "B" both modules stay on.

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Well, I just had a brain storm..... "why don't I read the user's guide"

On page 7 there is a section about "3 Way Toggle Mode" which is enabled by default:

"Because Micro module comes programmed for latching switches, 3-way toggle mode is enabled by default. Normally, a latching switch reads the switch’s up position as on and down position as off. For example, if you turn Micro module on from the latching switch and off from another controller, the switch is still in the up (on) position; turning Micro module back on from the switch would require you to tap the switch down, then up again.
                The 3-way toggle mode overrides this sense feature, so in that same scenario—turning Micro module on at the switch and off from another controller, so switch is in up (on) position—you could then turn Micro module on at the switch by tapping it down.
                If you are installing Micro module behind a single or dual momentary switch, 3-way toggle mode is ignored. If desired, you can disable (or re-enable) 3-way toggle mode by following these instructions:......."

It sounds like this is something I should have disabled when initially programming these little gems.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by zapdog View Post
                  Hi stusviews,

I'm not sure if your question in your last post was directed to me. Well anyway, I not sure what your asking... if by "logic" you mean programming, the micro modules were merely linked so if one turns on - it turns on the other and visa-versa. The creation of such "logic" seems to be just a product of how the micro modules behave presently. I can apply current to the sense wire on micro module "A" and then both "A" and "B" will turn on; then apply current to the sense wire on module "B" and both "A" and "B" will turn off.... Not exactly, what I had in mind where if current is applied to sense wire "A" both modules come on, then when current applied to sense wire "B" both modules stay on.

Thanks for the reply.
                  First, applying current to the yellow sense wire turns the Micro Module on, not off. Second, which module turns on first depends on the direction the person is going, up or down, so A and B need to switch roles. How did you accomplish that?

Comment

Hi stusviews,

See my post about "3 way Toggle Mode" I think that may explain whats going on. Though the user guide is far from clear on this, It would make sense that this default setting is causing all this to happen with no credit to be given to me other than my ignorance. I'm going to disable this setting on the micro modules come Tuesday when I return to the jobsite unless somebody thinks I'm wasting my time.

Thanks

Comment

What you do want is 3-way toggle mode. That configuration requires latching switches. Try setting the Motion Sensor to send an On only.

BTW, if latching switches are not used, them 3-Way Toggle Mode is disabled no matter the setting.

Comment

Working...
                      X