Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheap solution to make double push button switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap solution to make double push button switch?

I have a double switch (x10) that I want to replace with insteon. There are a couple of solutions:
    1. Buy double insteon (or z wave) light switch. Cannot find an Insteon one and z-wave is around $150.
    2. Use standard double switch and connect 2 micro modules to it. Problem - as far as I understand the rocker switch will look ugly - if I switch the light on with the switch and off with relay - the switch will stay in "on" position. So you may end up with both lights off and one switch on, one off.
    3. Push button switch. I found this one - http://shop.loxone.com/enus/2-push-button.html - looks good, but it's low voltage (24V) Considering the switch connection wire size on the relay, I assume the amperage on it is low. So this might work.
    Any suggestions?
    Wattstopper Push Button Switch | With the Wattstopper Low Voltage Switch, you will be able to add a push button switch for digital input to your Loxone Miniserver.
    Last edited by alex_su; 09-25-2015, 03:58 PM.

1. That's true. There is no duplex Insteon switch. But, you can install a 5-button KeypadLinc and on Micro Module which will provide availability to control three other devices, should the need arise.
    2. Not true. Connecting two Micro Modules to a standard duplex switch will function like two independent switches.
    3. Besides not being in compliance with the NEC and creating a fire hazard, the maximum line voltage bulb you could power is just under 1/4 watts. A night light uses about 4 watts, 16 times as much as the switch you linked to can handle.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

1. Well... I need just 2... X10 had a transmitter with a face plate for 1,2 or 4 buttons (that's what I have right now - 2 buttons). 5 button would be too "busy" looking.
      2. I probably didn't explain clearly. Yes, I know I can put 2 modules and duplex switch. The problem that I'll need to explain to my wife why the switch is off and the light is on With push button it's easier - she wouldn't notice
      3. Here is the question: If the tiny wire that connects module and switch (not load) is used for a low amperage signal to the module at 110V, then it's isolated from the load and the wattage of the load doesn't matter. Considering the wires (yellow and purple) look like 32 AWG (guts feeling) it might be OK to use 24v-2mA current. The switch specs say "Wire connections: 18-22AWG (Cat5e cable)"

Comment

Anybody measured current on the sensing wire for the micro module while "mechanical" switch is on?

Comment

2. Unless you remotely control the Micro Module, the light won't be on when the switch is off.
          3. My response was to what you labelled 3, not the Micro Module. The current in the sense wires (yellow and purple) is in no way related to the low voltage switch you linked to. The Micro Module, including the sense wire insulation, is rated for line voltage. The switch you linked to is NOT. In particular, the switch you linked to does not have dielectric strength required for line voltage regardless of the ampacity. You can even find 18AWG or 16AWG that is not rated for line voltage and 22AWG that is. Don't base your reasoning on wire gauge alone. There's no way I'd run line voltage through Cat5 cable although it has the ampacity to support a 60 watt bulb.
          Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
          Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Working...
          X