Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about using Micro on/off modules in the UK

Hi there - newbie question!

I'm researching the best approach before investing in a home control solution. I'm attracted to the idea of keeping existing switches and bulbs and using micro-modules to add control. However as most UK light switches don't feature a neutral wire; I'm thinking this might not be an option.

I've read in some places that an alternative option would be to position the micro module at the light fixture itself, however I am having trouble understanding how this would work, as surely if the light switch were turned off, then the micro module would then be unpowered, and you'd be unable to remotely turn it on.

Is there a workable solution here or am I at a dead end?

All advice greatly appreciated!

--
    Mark

When a Micro Module is installed in the fixture box it's connected to neutral and line, so it always has power. The Micro Module is also connected to the fixture instead of the existing switch. Then the existing switch is connected to the sense wire of the Micro Module.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Originally posted by stusviews View Post
      When a Micro Module is installed in the fixture box it's connected to neutral and line, so it always has power. The Micro Module is also connected to the fixture instead of the existing switch. Then the existing switch is connected to the sense wire of the Micro Module.
      Hi there! Thank you for your reply!

I trawled through some more wiring diagrams and I think I understand now. UK light fixtures also typically act as a junction box, so there's always a live wire to feed the module, and then a drop to the switch allowing sense connection - so, would be all good!

Thanks again!
      --
      Mark

Comment

Working...
      X