Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Controlling fanlic: any other options besides keypad linc or mini remote?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Controlling fanlic: any other options besides keypad linc or mini remote?

Brief background: I have a hub and several dimmer switches controlling lights in my home. I recently purchased a fanlinc and an 8 button mini remote which I planned to use for fan & light control + 2 more scenes. I have an extra insteon dimmer switch that I was going to use to control the light at the doorway.

I was annoyed to learn I can't link the mini remote to the hub in order to control exsiting hub scenes with the remote. I use the android app but I also have an iphone laying around. The ios app lets you add a mini remote but it's not working for me. But that's really a separate issue, and I have no desire to manually linc devices to the mini remote.

So now that I know the mini remote is of limited use I was thinking of returning it for a 6 button keypad linc. That's a little annoying too, since I'm paying for another dimmer to control something that already has dimming ability. Also I feel it will be cumbersome to turn the light on/off when going through the doorway with the keypad vs a dedicated light switch.

Is there a better way? Am I missing something? Any and all suggestions are welcome, thanks!

You can install a SwitchLinc at the door. Link it, do not wire it, to the FanLinc light. Install the KeypadLinc in a TableTop enclosure and place that in a convenient place in the room to control both the light and the fan.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll consider it. I'm a little bummed that I'd need to spend $95 to replace a $40 remote.

Comment

The Hub is an entry level, low cost device. If you needs exceed the capabilities of the Hub, you'll have to move to something more costly, such as software which requires that a computer be powered on 24/7 or an ISY.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
        Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Working...
        X