Light LED won't light up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Light LED won't light up

I tried installing a fanlinc today and manually linking it to a 6 button wall switch. However, I cannot get it to link. When I turned the breaker back on, the fan led on the fanlinc turned on and went to red as described in the manual. However, the light led has never come on. Anyone have an idea why this might be? Nothing happens when I press the set button for the fan or the light. Thanks.

Recap: with power on the fan LED is red, the light LED is unlit. Pressing the fan set button does nothing (i.e., LED stay red). Pressing the light set button does nothing (i.e., remains unlit). If all that is true and you've rechecked the wiring, then the FanLinc appears to be defective.

Tip: it's a good idea to create links prior to installing a device. You can power the device using an extension cord with one end cut off. A ground wire is not needed. Also, the neutral side of a two-wire extension cord (wide blade) has a rib. The line side is smooth.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

In addition. Using a temporary power cord to set it up as Stu pointed out.
      Would show if the module was bad {didn't work on the cord} or if the permanent location {worked with the cord but not here} has a issue.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I pulled the fanlinc off the fan and tried it on an extension chord as suggested and it works fine. I was able to manually link it to the 6 button switch just fine. At the same time I wired the fan and fan light back to the regular wall switch and only the fan comes on. I connected both to the same line so if the fan is getting power then the light should be as well. I think there is something wrong with the light. Could that have caused the fanlinc to react as it did?

Comment

It's possible, but the FanLinc light LED should have responded. What have you done to discover the difficulty? Did you change the bulb(s)? Pull the chain?

Good to know that it's not you nor the FanLinc that's at fault.
          Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

I tried pulling the chain, flipping multiple switches and changing bulbs in every combination I could think of. The light has never come on. I purchased the fan recently, so I am going to try to exchange it. I think I will go with a different model fan that I installed in another room. It comes with a remote receiver that looks very similar to the fanlinc that I can just swap out of the installation for the fanlinc.

Comment

Less important than what the receiver looks like is how it's connected. If the receiver has line and neutral in and three wires out, fan, light, neutral, then it'd be a direct swap. Can you find the manual on-line?

Comment

Yeah, the manual is located here:

http://www.hunterfan.com/SupportDocu...s/M3521-01.pdf

Comment

Direct replacement

Comment

Working...
                  X