3-Way Setup with HUB control?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3-Way Setup with HUB control?

I have a 2477 and a 2466, both are non-dimming. Both switch boxes have power, common, and ground, therefore I did not use the "traveler" cables at all. The 2466 controls the load, the 2477 red is capped, Through trial and error I linked the 2477 to the 2466 and both switches turn the light on or off. I cannot for the life of me get the two switches to stay synced as far as the LED indicators. My solution was to turn the LED off.

Using Android, the hub does not see the 2466. I am not sure if that is because the 2466 is not dual band. I did try entering the hex address, doesn't see it (lots of beeping though). Not the end of the world I thought, the hub does see the 2477. So when I use Android to turn the 2477 on and off why doesn't it control the 2466. My trial and error above was to make the 2477 the controller and the 2466 the responder, unless I am not understanding that.

In an Insteon virtual 3-way configuration, both switches should be set to be both a controller and a responder.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Okay, thanks, I have a second nearly identical setup that I am working on now. This 2466 was recognized by the HUB. Is it possible my problem with the first setup up is a defective 2466?

Comment

Did you set each switch to be both a controller and a responder? Which device is connected to the load?
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

my second nearly the same set up was successful. The difference between the two is the first installation the load is connected to the 2466 - not recognized by the hub. The second installation the load is connected to the 2477, the hub sees both switches and I believe I have then configured to both controller and responder. Both switches turn the light on and off and both switches are in sync as far as the LED's. For the android, if I turn one switch the linked switch does not follow as far as LED even thought the mechanical switching does switch both LED.

I am back to factory on the first 2466, the hub just doesn't want to recognize it. It seems to try but fails. LED goes into fast flashing.

Comment

The 2466 is a Insteon power line only communications. So the Insteon commands have to be received on the power lines from other controllers.
            It is possible you have a power line noise maker or signal sucker causing the commands to not get there.

The 2477 is a Dual Band Insteon module and uses both RF and power line signaling.

Comment

Follow up - the replacement 2466 switch arrived and all works physically. Now can someone beat me over the head until I get how to make the indicator lights sync using Android or Windows.

Switch A has the load, Switch B is the 2466. Using the switches: Turn on A, load is on and B indicates on; turn off A, load is off and B indicates off; turn on B, load is on and A indicates on; turn off B, load is off and A indicates off. Using the Android App if I turn on A, load is on and B indicates off. Even though I hear A click as it goes on, B does not indicate on.

Creating a scene can make this happen, I get that. Is that the only way it can be done?

Comment

Creating a scene where each device is both a controller of and responder to the other device is the only correct way to create an Insteon virtual 3-way configuration.

Comment

Okay, you didn't beat me over the head too badly, thank you!

In my research, I have read posts and other resources that mention being careful not to have controllers repeating commands unnecessarily. Not that I fully understand that, but let me ask this:

If I link the switches manually, both ways, does creating the scene to create my Insteon virtual 3-way configuration send unnecessary commands? Does creating the virtual 3-way via the app and hub also makes the switches manually connected?

Sorry if this got a little off topic but I didn't find this elsewhere.

Comment

Insteon devices can be controllers, responders, or both. A few devices can be only a controller (e.g., remote, motion sensor, etc.) or only a reponder (e.g., FanLinc, Dimmer Outlet, etc), but most devices can be either or both. Dimmers and On/Off switches can be a controller, a responder or both, for example.

If s device is a controller only of one or more devices, then it will not respond to those other devices, Similarly, responders cannot control the device(s) they respond to. That's why you needed to set your devices to be both for a virtual 3-way configuration.

Nearly all Insteon devices are repeaters. The only exception that I'm aware of is the hard-wired phase-coupler. Because it's hard-wired and its only function is to bridge the opposite legs of the single-phase electric supply, there's no need to repeat the signal. Nothing is lost as is possible with power line or RF signals.

Back to your question. Insteon devices repeat each and every signal they receive three times, commonly called hops.

Every power line and/or RF device is capable of receiving and repeating the signal, even if it's not the intended device. Reliability is why the signal is repeated. As soon as the responder acknowledges that the signal is received, it sends out an ACK and the repetition stops, so it's not really possible for an Insteon device to send out unnecessary commands,

There is no difference between using and app to create a scene or manually linking the devices except that the app may not be aware of the manually created scene.

Try it. Unplug your hub. The virtual 3-way configuration still functions correctly

Comment

Working...
                    X