Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mirco On/Off controlling relays

Hi all,

I currently have different Insteon devices installed in my house (micro On/Off, micro shutter, plug-in modules, thermostat, cameras...) and I am currently working for a friend of mine house project. I am trying to understand how to match the Insteon Micro On/Off module with his relay's light switch.
    There are 3 different push/release buttons which controls one relay which turns on/off a light. (see image below)

I would like to understand how to insert and use the micromudole in such scenario:
    Do I need to use another relay connected to the Insteon micro On/Off prior the connection to the main Relay?
    Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Emanuele

PS: I am from Italy, so I am working with EU compatible devices

What does each switch do? Three switches are not needed for only on and off unless they're in different locations. Also, are the switches momentary or latching?
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Yes, they are used in different location. He has a big living room and the three switches are used at different entrances of the living room. Momentary switches controlling the relay...

Comment

Do the momentary switches alternate between on and off, that is tap once for on and tap again for off? What is the ultimate goal for using Insteon devices?
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

Yes, the momentary switches behave as you described.
          The goal of using Insteon device is to enhance remote control to different lights.

Since this friend of mine liked a lot the Insteon system I installed in my apartment, he's now renovating his apartment (electrical system included) and would like to use Insteon for shutters, thermostat and some of the lights.

I am now trying to understand if, in the scenario above mentioned, it is indeed necessary to install 3 Insteon micro ON/Off controller for controlling this one-light. Which means, a little too expensive for just 1 light to be remotely controlled.
          If, based on your experience, you can provide me good advice, it will be appreciated.

Comment

Are the switches momentary contact or latching?

An Insteon installation requires that all devices that control the same load be Insteon devices.

Comment

Working...
            X