need help wiring 3 way light with "bypass" power setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need help wiring 3 way light with "bypass" power setup

I have an existing 3 way hard wired setup. I tested voltage on both the inside and outside switch and only the black wire on the inside switch has current, regardless of the position of the switches. See the picture where I measured voltage at each wire based on the position. Note that I only switched one switch at a time, so if the light was on, and I switched one of the locations, the light went off.

Looking in the outside box, I found that the setup appears to be like this switch in the picture below.

Is this the right way to wire the inside switch?
    - white wire has the load, so it goes to the red wire on the swtich
    - black wire in box has power ("line"), so it connects to black wire on switch
    - red wire in box connects to white wire on switch

On the outside location, since none of the wires have continuous power, do I need to tie into the black wire that comes into the box to supply power, and then tie off to the other neutral wire, and ignore the existing wires that are tied to the switch?

Thanks for your help.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

try this https://bithead942.wordpress.com/201...ernate-wiring/
    Iphone 4
    Iphone 5
    Ipad
    Ipod touch
    2 galaxy 3
    2-D link 655
    23 insteon
    2 ezflora
    HUB
    HUB II
    also using Smartlinc
    1E.A2.0F

Comment

Never connect any wire if you're not positive of what it is. certainly do not connect a red wire to an Insteon white wire. You may only cause the breaker to pop, but you may also cause the wire to burn. If it's inside the wall you will need to replace the cable (open the wall) or, worse, you may start a fire.

What specifically are you using to replace both 3-way switches. How many and what color are the wires in each switch box and how are the bundled (not connected), for example, one 2-wire cable and one 3-wire cable?

Also, what color wire is connected to the black screw on each switch and which wires are connected to the two brass screws on each switch?
      Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
      Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Danowe36 thank u for the post.

stusviews I am using a 2466SW in both locations. There are 5 wires in the "outside" box, a black and white bundle, and a red, black and white bundle. On both switches, the black white is connected to the black screw, and the red and white wires are connected to the brass screws. See pics.
        This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

In the 2nd image (the one that has paint on the wires), black from the 3-wire cable appears to be a line wire (it it's connected to a bundle of black wires) and white from the 2-wire cable is a neutral wire (if it connects to a bundle of white wires).

Can you confirm that conjecture?
          Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

You are correct on the wiring but I'm not sure about your question. The black wire in the 3-wire cable goes over to a set of black wires that are bundled together with a cap. I believe that black wire is getting line power from another wire in that bundle, and that is used to send power to the inside switch.

I believe, based on my tests, that the load wire is the white wire on the 2 wire bundle. I actually think the black wire in the 2 wire cable carries power, since it ties off to a separate bundle. The light upstairs is exposed (attic space is unfinished) and it is a single 2 wire bundle. I could disable power and tone out the lines, if needed.

If you take a look at my voltage test chart in the first post, when the light is off, the white wire has power, which I think would indicate it is the load wire.
            Is that right?
            Last edited by jgatl; 05-10-2016, 07:22 AM. Reason: rewrote since i misread Stu's question about black wire

Comment

In any 3-way configuration, one black screw connects to the load and one connects to the line (regardless of the color of the wire). In your case, both black screws connect to black wires. Most likely, the black wire at the outside box (no paint on the wires) is the line.

At the box with paint on the wires:
              Does the white wire from the 2-wire cable connect to a bundle of white wires?
              Does the black wire from the 2-wire cable connect to the black screw?
              Does the black wire from the 3-wire cable connect to a bundle of black wires?

Comment

to me it looks like you have this but test to be sure. if it is then take tape off white and change it to a neutral and do the other pic i posted.
                This gallery has 1 photos.
                Iphone 4
                Iphone 5
                Ipad
                Ipod touch
                2 galaxy 3
                2-D link 655
                23 insteon
                2 ezflora
                HUB
                HUB II
                also using Smartlinc
                1E.A2.0F

Comment

Originally posted by stusviews View Post
                  At the box with paint on the wires:
                  Does the white wire from the 2-wire cable connect to a bundle of white wires?
                  Yes

Does the black wire from the 2-wire cable connect to the black screw?
                  Yes

Does the black wire from the 3-wire cable connect to a bundle of black wires?
                  Yes

Comment

Originally posted by Danowe36 View Post
                    If it is then take tape off white and change it to a neutral and do the other pic i posted.
                    I'm not sure I understand how taking tape off changes it to a neutral. Did you want me to take the white wire, connect it to the neutral bundle, and then add another white wire to the neutral bundle, and then attach that to the white wire from the insteon switch?

Comment

At the box with paint on the wire:
                      Connect the black wire from the 2-wire cable to the Insteon switch red wire (load).
                      Connect the white wire from the 3-wire cable to the bundle of white wires. This is also the neutral for the Insteon switch.
                      Connect the black wire from the 3-wire cable to the bundle of black wires. This is also the line for the Insteon switch.
                      Cap the red wire from the 3-wire cable.

At the box with only a 3-wire cable:
                      Cap the red wires separately.
                      Connect the white wires together.
                      Connect the black wires together.

Turn on power and ensure that the inside switch controls the load and that the outside switch LEDs turn on when the Insteon switch is turned on. If so, then turn on both Insteon switch and link each switch as a controller (and responder) of the other switch.

Comment

At the box with paint on the wire:
                        Connect the white wire from the 3-wire cable to the bundle of white wires. This is also the neutral for the Insteon switch.
                        Connect the black wire from the 3-wire cable to the bundle of black wires. This is also the line for the Insteon switch.

Turn on power and ensure that the inside switch controls the load and that the outside switch LEDs turn on when the Insteon switch is turned on. If so, then turn on both Insteon switch and link each switch as a controller (and responder) of the other switch.
                        I had a question and also that the results were different than noted above.

First, the directions state to connect the black & white wires from the 3 wire bundle to the corresponding bundle in the box. I assume that you meant to connect both the white wire from the 3 cable bundle to the white bundle, and connect the white insteon switch wire to the 3 wire bundle. Same for the black wire (connect to bundle and to switch).

When I did this, the outside (painted wire) switch can turn the lights on and off, but not the inside switch. The LEDs on both switches light up when switched off, and blink when held in.

Is this okay?

On another note, I was able to use my insteon hub to add both devices (once I plugged the hub into the garage and connected it to the access point out there). I was also abel to create a scene to make a virtual 3 way with both switches. Now both switches will turn on (or off) the lights)

Comment

My error, I mistakenly switched which box was inside and which box was outside. The primary switch (the one wire to the load) is the one with painted wires and should be able control the load without the scene.

Comment

Working...
                          X