2477S to control dimming of 2442-222

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2477S to control dimming of 2442-222

How do I do this? I have read on here several times that this can be done, however, insteon support has said this is not possible.

Basically, I need non-triac power from a switch, and still have the ability to control a microdimmer (dimming function included) from the same switch.

That should not be a problem. Creates a scene where the 2477S is a controller and the Micro Dimmer is a responder. The 2477S will behave as a dimmer, holding the top will brighten and holding the bottom will dim. However, the load on the 2477S will turn on and off, respectively. So, brightening will always turn the load on and dimming will always turn the load off.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

So when I attempt to use the 2477s as a dimmer to decrease the brightness, it will inherently also turn the load attached to the switch off as well?

Comment

Yes, that's correct. Although you can use the 2477S to control a dimmer, you can't change the characteristic of the 2477S, only the device it's linked to. Just for completeness, that works the other way as well. If you use a dimmer to control an On/Off device, brightening will turn the On/Off device on and dimming will turn it off.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
        Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

The 2477s is relay based. There is no way to dim a load that is directly connected to it. If it is linked to another device (if that device is a dimmer) as a controller, then you can send dimming commands from the 2477s.

Comment

Working...
          X