Neutral problems with switch install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neutral problems with switch install

I am replacing two switches for my outside lights, they are standard two way switches. One of the lights is powered in the switch box with a line from the breaker, and that switch works fine. My other switch only has two wires so the power feed is at one of the lights, which is within the eave and inaccessible. All are on the same breaker. There is a third switch in that box also that is 3-way and powered from outside this box.

I want to use a common neutral for both switches, but only the switch with the power coming from inside this switch box will function. I have cross-swapped to verify it’s not the switch, both in either spot get the same result.

it clicks every 5 seconds with a led blink, which in other posts I have read means the neutral isn’t good.

Help please!
    Last edited by Marti22; 01-22-2018, 04:30 PM.

Describe all the wires in the switch box an what each is connected to (i.e., colors, how they're grouped. 2-wire Romex, 3-wire Romex, etc.). You can disregard any ground wires.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

The switch that works properly has a hot and a neutral from a branch off the breaker, and a black and a white wire that loops to the light fixture.

The non working switch has a black and white wire from the fixture that is hot on the black wire.

The unrelated switch in that box has a R/B/W three wire that goes to the other 3-way switch, and a black/white wire pair that loops to the fixtures with the black wire hot.

Comment

Is the switch that works properly an Insteon switch? If so, what connects to what?

It's highly unusual for a standard switch to have black as line. The usual procedure is white as line and black as load? Check with a meter with the load disconnected (bulb unscrewed). A voltage indicator is inadequate. It must be a meter. Even the least costly meter will do.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
        Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

I called the 800 line last night and they recommended a dimmer switch as a simpler solution.

Comment

If they recommend the 2474 two wire switch.
            It only works with incandescent loads and can not be used in an Insteon Three Way setup.
            Last edited by BLH; 01-24-2018, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X