LED Bulbs & Low Voltage Recessed Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED Bulbs & Low Voltage Recessed Lights

I am building a new home and close to the wiring rough in stage. My electrician is going to start putting in Recessed lights and asked if Insteon switches/keypads/dimmers are compatible with the recessed lights. I am planning to use Juno recessed lights all over.

The main lights I will use are a Juno 4 inch houses (line Voltage):
    http://www.electricbargainstores.com...UaAhBqEALw_wcB

and I will have several wall washers as well which are Low Voltage:

https://www.lumens.com/4-inch-aiming..._intid=R335623

As for bulbs, I am planning to get LED bulbs for all my recessed lights. Any issues I should be aware of using LED bulbs or a Low Voltage light? if so, what are others doing?

I use the Philips warm glow br30s with insteon without any issues. The Feit enhance line (I'm sure their regular bulbs work as just well) works well with insteon too.

Comment

Thanks, I was cruising the forum and saw something mentioning keeping fixtures to 120v. I'm assuming a low voltage recessed light is not 120v. I can swap it out, but like the look of it.

Comment

The JUNO fixtures are 120 volt. You should be able to control them with an Insteon Dimmer or On/Off type wall switch. Depending on the bulb you install.

The 4" wall washer trim indicates it uses a 12 volt halogen bulb. There is not enough information on what fixture it is used with.. To indicate wiring and if you need a external power supply or the fixture is 120 Volt and it has an internal supply. If it uses a 120 volt feed with an internal supply. You should be able to control it with a Insteon On/Off switch.

Use deep electrical boxes, if possible.
        A Neutral power connection is needed in the electrical switch's box. For an Insteon switch. Along with the Line and Load connections.
        Last edited by BLH; 12-09-2017, 04:52 PM. Reason: Add information.

Comment

If the wall washers have an internal power supply, and they likely do, then do not use a dimmer to power them. Use only an On/Off device, as suggested by BLH. You can use either a switch or Micro Module. Even a dimmer KeypadLinc secondary button if you select a Micro Module because secondary buttons are not wired to anything.
          Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
          Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Awesome. Thanks for the info. I am not sure what you mean by on/off switch vs dimmer. The only switch I found for insteon is Insteon SwitchLincRemote Control Switch, On/Off, Dual-Band, Works with Amazon Alexa.

I was planning to have the wall washer light part group to be combined with a regular recessed. So when I hit on, the low voltage and line voltage lights will turn on. A keypad will have the main load for this set of lights.

I don't follow what is meant by having micro module and then switchlinc as secondary, but I'll try to read up on that.

Comment

Ah, i see you wrote keypadlinc as secondary, so I am assuming on a 6 keypad, any of the 4 extra buttons would be considered secondary.

In my case, I have 1 keypad, and 2 switchlincs that will control this grouping of lights. I was planning to make the load go to the keypad, and the switchlincs would be loadless. I'm trying to research why it's better to have the 6 button keypad Linc set up as a 8 button, but I'll start a new forum if I can't find it anywhere.

Comment

On/Off and Dimmer switches.
                Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
                Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Working...
                X