Help with Dimmer Switch and Insteon LED Bulbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Dimmer Switch and Insteon LED Bulbs

So my house was wired with existing dimmers and incandescent bulbs... I just bought all PAR38 bulbs to replace them, for now I just wired my switches out of the equation with an always on wiring situation... But I would still like the convenience of being able to dim or brighten from the wall switch area...

On page 18 of http://cache.insteon.com/documentation/2674-222-en.pdf , #3 shows "Connect the Dimmer Switch wires to the identified wires in the junction box. The red load wire is not used and, instead, capped. Verify that the wire nuts are secure and that no exposed copper W wire is visible except for the bare ground wire."

Is the above referring to an Insteon Dimmer switch? If so by wiring in this way is it basically not truly a switch but an insteon commander?

What I am looking for at my wall plate is a way to be able to toggle the Insteon LED lights from either state (if they are on turn off, and if they are off turn on) but I also want to be able to adjust the current brightness up or down on the fly (Like the ToggleLinc Dimmer for Inc bulbs does)

Thanks for the help,
    -Derek

Originally posted by TFitzpatri8

Affirmative, that’s using another wall-mountable INSTEON controller, like a 2477D or 2466 or 2334 wire-in controller, or a battery-powered 2342 Mini Remote, to send commands to the INSTEON-compatible LED bulb.

One of those combinations make it possible to install INSTEON lighting in places where there is no neutral wiring in the wall box, or where you want to be able to adjust different bulbs powered by the same switch to different brightnesses. If you had neutrals in the wall box and were willing to run all bulbs at the same brightness, then you would be able to skip the 2674 devices entirely and instead use less expensive, ‘dumb/dimmable’ LED bulbs powered by the 2477 or 2466 devices directly.
    Can you tell me whether or not 2466S (Non-dimming) supports dimming as a controller via Insteon commands and not through wiring (Like hold in the up position to brighten an Insteon LED bulb or scene that has a group of them)?

Or does the dim via controller option only work on the Dimming switches that are meant for traditional dimable bulbs, and you just dont wire the load...

Reason why i ask is i am looking to by second hand and if I can get a toggle that is on/off but still functions as a controller then it does not matter as I am not controlling load.

Comment

In order to dim lights you will need a dimmer connected to the lights. Since the 2466s is a relay, you would only be able to turn on/off.

If you connected a dimmer such as the 2466d or 2477d to the light then you would be able to use a 2466s in another location to dim the location that had the dimmer connected

Comment

Originally posted by lilyoyo1 View Post
        In order to dim lights you will need a dimmer connected to the lights. Since the 2466s is a relay, you would only be able to turn on/off.

If you connected a dimmer such as the 2466d or 2477d to the light then you would be able to use a 2466s in another location to dim the location that had the dimmer connected
        http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-...-to-dim-lights

Thanks I see that in this thread too... Seems like the S models do support dimming scene's which my Insteon LED bulbs are a part of. So I should be able to use an S (On/Off) to control a scene Brighten and Dimm other insteon devices. And just not have the load being controlled by it.

Comment

As long as the connected load is hooked up to a dimmer, you will be able to dim from any other device. It does not matter if it is a dimmer or a relay.

Comment

Info only: If a device is connected to a dimmer, then it can remotely be dimmed or brightened by a dimmer or even an On/Off device. If a device is connected to an On/Off device, then it can only be turned on or off no matter if the remote device is a dimmer or an On/Off device.
            Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
            Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Working...
            X