3 way switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 way switch

Will a switchlinc dimmer work with a regular 3 way switch? Or do I need 2 Insteon switches (on/off or Dimmer)?

I have a set of switchlinc dimmer in place and setup like a 3 way. You just setup/install one switchlinc(1) dimmer with the load. Then any other switchlinc(2) setup/installed there will be nothing on the load. Next you will want to link device 2 to device 1 to control the load on device 1. Next you will want to link device 1 to device 2 so you can see the status of device 1 on device 2 (the leds will read or sync)

Comment

I apologize for not being very clear. I have switchlinc dimmer. I also have a non-insteon, basic 3 way decorator switch (currently in the wall). Can I use the insteon switchlinc and the basic decorator switch together to complete a 3 way circuit? Or does the Switchlinc only work with another switchlinc switch?

Comment

INSTEON devices work only with other INSTEON devices. You will need to replace the standard 3-way switch. You can use a SwitchLinc or a KeypadLinc. Or use a Micro Module installed behind the standard 3-way switch.
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
        Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

As mentioned above you need to wire one INSTEON device to control the light. You then wire another INSTEON device (such as those mentioned) to be powered all the time. You program that second device to remotely control the first one (and to be a responder of the first one as well so the indicators on that second device update to reflect the state of the device you are controlling)

Comment

Can the 2-wire light switches (Model 2474D) be used on a 3-way arrangement? I tried and it didn't work and I have set others 3- and 4-way switches successfully. I wonder if the neutral wire is needed for 3- or 4-way settings.
            Last edited by ggilpu; 03-15-2017, 07:00 PM.

Comment

The 2-wire switch is not designed to be used in a multi-way configuration. That's a limitation of electric wiring, not the Insteon protocol.

Info only: There is no such thing as a 2-way configuration. A 3-way switch is so named because it has three connections. Two 3-way switches are used when the same load is controlled from two separate locations. If more than two locations are needed, then each additional location uses a 4-way switch, one with four connections.

Insteon devices use virtual 3-way configurations. Each switch is an Insteon device (e.g., switch, keypad, etc.), but only one is connected to the load.
              Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
              Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Is there a solution for implementing a 3-way switch where there is no neutral? In an older part of my house (no neutral wires) I have an overhead light controlled by a 3-way switch. I would like to bring this into my Insteon system. I understand from the forum that the 2-wire switches (2474D for example) cannot be configured as a 3-way switch, yet the other switches all require a neutral. Surely there is a solution?

Comment

You maybe able to rewire the switch positions. So that there is a Neutral and Line in both locations. Using the traveler wires between the two switch locations.
                  Power one with Line and Neutral. Capping off the unused Load wire.
                  Second one. Line, Neutral and Load connected. Cross link both to each other.

Comment

Hi guys, I am following on from athleticdevelop's question.

I am renting a property where the lighting setup is questionable at best. There are two switches that control the kitchen lights, but they do not seem to be in a true 3-way setup. Here are the facts:

- Switch 1 - non-insteon, controls the lights on/off, when this is OFF, switch 2 has no power to it. The switch is connected by three wires, red/red/black
                    - Switch 2 - non-insteon, controls the lights on/off, only works when switch 1 is set to ON. The old switch was connected by three wires, red/black/white. White is hot.

So as you can see, not a true 'staircase-lighting' configuration.

I want to replace Switch 2 with a dimmable Insteon unit to operate the lights, and leave the old, non-insteon, Switch 1 to 'always-on' as it is an inconvenient location anyway.

I have managed to connect the Insteon switch such that it powers on (connecting Insteon black, to wall box white (hot), and Insteon white to wall box black) - the switch LEDs are operative and I can toggle between on/off with no problems - however I just cannot get the ceiling lights to respond at all. I have tried connecting the red wires at Switch 2, capping the red wires at Switch 2 (leaving switch 1 unchanged), and capping the red load wires at switch 1 (leaving switch 2 red wires connected).

None of these are allowing me to power the lights on whilst the Insteon switch is connected at switch 2!

Any ideas?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X