Difference Between the 2487S & 2334-232

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Difference Between the 2487S & 2334-232

I currently have a Fan Module 2475F paired with a 2487F for a ceiling fan. I am looking to install another ceiling fan and want to know the difference between the 2487S & 2334-232? Will both work with the Fan Module 2475F?

I don't know what a 2487F is, but you can use any Insteon controller to operate a FanLinc because the controller is never wired to the FanLinc. All control is through electronic links, not wires.

The main difference between using a 2487S and a 2334-232 is that the former device clicks and the latter device is quiet.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

Thanks. I did a little more research and the 2487S is just a 6-key on/off. Where the 2334-232 is a 6-Key dimmer. I figured they both would work the same but didn't realized the 2487S was just an on/off.

Comment

Any Insteon On/Off controller can dim and brighten a dimmable device, but the On/Off controller can only turn it's wired load on or off.. An Insteon dimmer can only turn an On/Off device on or off, but can dim and brighten it's wired load.

In the case of a FanLinc, which is not connected to the load wire, both the 2487S ans 2334-232 will work exactly the same (except for the click).
        Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

I have my new fan installed but having an issue. I am not sure if I might have a faulty FanLinc 2475F or not. Nothing happened when I pressed the set button. I tried manually linking it with the iphone app. It failed to recognize it either. When I tried the Andoid app I was able to set it. I was also able to link it with my 6- key 2334-232. The problem is that when the fan light is on. When I turn on any other device the new fan light will flicker for a couple of seconds. This also happen when I open the Insteon app. I am not sure what is going on. Has anyone seen this before?

Comment

Nothing should happen when you press the fan set button. That's for safety. You don't want the motor spinning when your on a ladder, most especially if the blades are attached. The light set button should toggle the light on or off.

If you can control the fan with the Android app, then the FanLinc is OK. If you have an iOS app, all linking (scenes) should be done with the app, not manually.

What kind of bulbs are you using with the fan, incandescent, LEDs, CFLs, other?

Comment

The fan came with LEB bulb but I also tried using CFL's too. Bulbs shouldn't flicker when opening the app or by turning on another Insteon device.

Comment

Some LED bulbs are not fully compatible with dimmers. That's especially true for CFL bulbs. Are the bulbs you tried specifically labelled dimmable (that alone does not guarantee compatibility)? Have you tried incandescent bulbs?

Comment

It is not rated for incandescent's, beside I don't think think my issue has anything to do with the bulbs The light does. dim with out a problem. When this fan light is on it works fine. When I turn on any other insteon device in my house & I have about 20. The bulb in my newly installed fan blinks, flickers, or flashs. What ever you want to call it. There is no reason when insteon app is open & looking at the devices that this light ficker for 5-6 seconds.

Comment

The symptom you describe has been posted many, many times. The culprit has nearly always been the particular bulbs.

All my dimmable LED bulbs are controlled by Insteon SwitchLinc dimmers, Micro dimmers or FanLincs. The few dimmable LED bulbs that flickered have been relegated to non-dimmable Insteon devices.

BTW, have you ensured that the flickering bulbs in your fan are dimmable? Unlike incandescent bulbs, not all LED or CFL bulbs are rated to be dimmed, even if they do dim. If the bulb is meant to be dimmed, it will say so on the bulb base.

Comment

I contacted Insteon & they had never heard of this problem. So they say at least. I don't care what type of bulb is installed. When the app is open & it is doing a status check. The light should not flicker & Insteon confirmed this. They did say that when the app is opened, the hub is sending out a signal to all of the devices to get a status. This could be overloading this Fanlinc & there might not anything that I can do. I sent the orignal module back to Amazon & received a replacement. The replacement was a little better but the light still flickered a little. I again contacted insteon & they had me try to rest the new Fanlinc. I was unable to complete the process & it completely locked up. Cycling power wouldn't even do anything & was unable to even turn on the light. Insteon is going to send me a replacement from their stock. Hopefully the 3rd time will be the charm.

I am half temped in the meantime to install my other Fanlinc (that deos work) in this new fan & see what happens. BTW, I have LED bulds in that one & it works just fine. They are also dimmable.

Comment

The reply you got is absolutely incorrect. In addition to my personal experience. there's probably 50 or more posts on the ISY forum finding that different brand LED bulbs make a difference. Unfortunately, there's no hard and fast rule. A bulb may be fine on a FanLinc and flicker on a Keypad dimmer. Or flicker on a Keypad dimmer and be OK on a Micro dimmer.

Comment

Working...
                        X