triggering an event based on a temp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

triggering an event based on a temp

I have an Insteon Thermostat and I created an event that checks to see if the temp is above 75 degrees and then it will turn on some fans around the house. However, the system doesn't seems to recognize when the temp is truly above 75. I have two events, one to do something above 75 and the other to do something below 75. They are triggered anytime a temp change occurs. As part of the test I have it send me an email when it runs the event and I always get the message telling me the temp is below 75 even when I know it's not. Has anyone else had any issues trying to trigger an event from a temp on the thermostat?

Which hardware or software are you using to do that?

Comment

Do you have the wireless thermostat linked to a wired thermostat?
      Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
      Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

I just have a wireless thermostat. I'm using house link to program the event. I'm using an older Toshiba laptop running Windows 7.

I spoke to tech support after I posted this and they mentioned that house linc does not fully support the thermostat at this time.

Comment

Hello Aaronmiller36, did you fix your problem?
          I am wondering....if there is a real need to use a computer in order to turn-on a fan (which I believe is connected to an INSTEON controller) based on wireless thermostat temperature.
          I am willing to do the same but still have some communication problem between HUB and thermostat. I opened another topic for this...

Comment

No, you can link the cool set point directly to the fan module. When the thermostat is in cooling or auto mode and the temp goes above the set point, the thermostat will signal the module directly to cycle on, just like it was an air conditioner. Likewise, when the temperature falls, it'll turn it back off.

Comment

Thanks for your reply...this is the behaviour I was expecting.
              The only problem is, as you saw in the other post, that the thermostat seems to not be working as it should (or I am missing some basic point on how to set it up).

Still troubleshooting that issue

Comment

Originally posted by TFitzpatri8 View Post
                No, you can link the cool set point directly to the fan module. When the thermostat is in cooling or auto mode and the temp goes above the set point, the thermostat will signal the module directly to cycle on, just like it was an air conditioner. Likewise, when the temperature falls, it'll turn it back off.
                Just perfect!
                I tried it now and it's working like sharme,
                Thanks!

PS: still trying to understand why my wireless thermostat doesn't show me temperature on the mobile device.....

Comment

Battery powered devices don't automatically update. To do so would run down the battery.
                  Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

I tried both cases: with or without batteries....but the result doesn't change.
                    The support told me that having only one thermostat as the wireless thermostat (this is my case scenario), the mobile application will not recognize it. I should add a wired thermostat to my house in order to let it work.
                    But this behaviour, in my opinion, does not match the system requirement. Still troubleshooting with support guys in order to better understand a possible solution

Comment

A battery power device is unaware of the source of power, that is, batteries or battery eliminator. It still behaves the same.

Comment

Working...
                      X