link thermostat to leak detector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

link thermostat to leak detector

new guy so if i get the terminology wrong please correct me.

I have a carrier heat pump. I would like to set up the leak detector as a controler and tell the thermostat (responder?) to turn off the compressor and change the fan from "auto" to "on". This is to stop any condensation problems in the air handler and dry it out. Can i do this with the Venstar thermostat and the Insteon adaptor?

Set the thermostat to off and turn the fan on. Link the leak sensor as a controller of the thermostat. You may need a dual-band device within range of both the thermostat and leak sensor.
    Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.
    Saving energy is not always free. Be a world saver.

Comment

thanks, i will try that... I need to get the venstar and the adaptor

Comment

I want to be able to create an alarm when the thermostat temperature drops below 60 F, but cant work out how to do it. I only have the thermostat at this point, but want to add a leak sensor with an alarm as well. Any tips?

Comment

Do you have an alarm? If so, which one?
          Message from Forum Admin: stusviews passed away in April 2018. Stu was a huge fan of Insteon and a huge presence on both the Smarthome and Insteon forums, helping thousands of us along the way (he had nearly 20,000 posts to his name). We thank him for his contributions, dedication, and passion for making the Smart Home a reality. He will truly be missed.

Comment

Same question as vdcneil, I think. I have the wired thermostat 2441TH with the INSTEON hub and seem to have everything working (even port-forwarding!!). Now I'm looking for how to get it to send me a text and/or email to let me know if the furnace craps out while I'm out of town. Seems like this should be doable since the same hub interfaces with other alert devices, but I don't see how to do it, other than to pull out my smartphone and check every couple hours. Appreciate any advice.

Comment

The furnace is not an INSTEON device, so it can't send messages. And the thermostat has no way of knowing if the furnace responded to directives. In fact, the thermostat behaves identically even if it's not connected to anything at all except 24VAC.

Another example is a SwitchLinc. It will turn on and off even if there is no load connected or the load (e.g., bulb) is burned out. So will any standard switch.

Comment

Stusviews - Sorry I was not clear...all we are talking about is using the thermostat's temperature measurement to make sure the pipes in the house are not freezing. If the temperature measured by the thermostat in the room drops below 60F, but the set point is 70F, that would be an indication that something is wrong. Like I said, I can self-monitor by looking at my smart phone and observing the measured temperature periodically, but it seems like an automatic alarm ability would be a natural element of this system.

Comment

You are correct. It would be nice if that capability was incorporated into the Hub. But that would both increase the cost and complexity of the device. (i.e., It wouldn't make sense to program only for your particular type of situation. It would have to be more general. Increasing generality even a little increases the complexity of using the device.)

The Hub is especially designed to be easy and simple at a relatively low cost. If you need greater ability, then you should consider using software such as HouseLinc (requires Windows powered on 24/7, but it's free) or a hardware solution such as an ISY.

Comment

I would think my request is very generic, since the thermostat gathers all the information already. When Device Reading (Thermostat temperature) is less than value (60), condition is true, when true trigger action (email, sms). The Hub doesn't have this capability?

Comment

Although your request is reasonable, the Hub does not support conditionals (i.e., if this, then do that).

Comment

Working...
                      X