Open/Close Sensor triggers many alerts each time the door is opened

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open/Close Sensor triggers many alerts each time the door is opened

I have an Open/Close Sensor on my front door. When I first set it up a few months ago, everything worked properly. When the door was opened, as expected, the I would receive a single push notification on my phone and PC. However, over the past few weeks, every time the door is opened, I am now receiving a series of 10-15 alerts. Does anyone know why I would be receiving so many alerts when the Open/Close sensor is triggered? Is there any way I can stop this and get it back to just sending me a single alert?

Not sure if it matters, but my Hub is on the latest version of the firmware and I am running the Windows 10 Desktop and Mobile apps on their latest versions.

Thanks for any help on this!

First thing I would do is measure the battery level to see where its at. If you find the battery voltage is still above 1.5X VDC you may need to hard reset the device to factory default settings.

If you intend to hard reset the device per the full users manual you should remove it from the HUB II before doing so.
    Want to make a real difference? Please cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-...t/8221-plm-pro

Comment

Thanks for the advice, EVIL. I will give that a shot.

Comment

Well, I have changed the battery to a completely new battery. I have also deleted the sensor from my Hub II and reset it. It seems to have cut down on the notifications I receive by a couple, but I am still getting about 5-7 notifications on my phone and PC each time the door is opened. I would really love to know how to fix this, so I only get a single notification each time the door opens.

Comment

Hello,

Could you do me a favor and remove the sensor from its mounting point. Once removed bring it near the HUB II and report back if tripping the sensor continues to send multiple on's.
          Want to make a real difference? Please cast your vote to make the PLM Pro a reality: http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-...t/8221-plm-pro

Comment

Sorry for the delay on this and thanks for the continuing attempts to help resolve this. So, I removed the sensor from it's mounting point and took it over and placed it directly next to my Hub II, as you requested. The problem with the multiple alerts triggering persists.

I also tried triggering the sensor by opening the door and then removing the battery from the sensor and the problem also continued happening. Based on this, I am guessing that the problem exists within my Hub II, rather than with my sensor; although, I could certainly be mistaken there.

- Additionally, I had a brand new open/close sensor in a box that I had never set up, so to do some additional testing, I just opened it up and set it up. When triggered, this new open/close sensor is also triggering numerous alerts. The issue MUST be with the Hub II or with the Windows 10 app software. I will note that I am only receiving a single e-mail alert when it is triggered. The multiple alerts are all Push notifications from the Windows 10 PC app and Windows 10 Mobile app. The issue is either with the Hub II or with the Windows 10 app.
            Last edited by bellyer; 09-16-2016, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Based on your tests with a new unit and email confirmation it appears there is a bug in the Windows PC / Smart App. I would suggest you use the feedback option in the smart application to submit technical information.

Comment

I get this exact thing but on all my open close sensors including my garage kit. HubII and I use iOS devices and all four devices do the same thing. It did work fine at first now I get like 3 to 7 notifications. It desides. Any fix yet on this. I did same trouble shooting with no luck. I suspect the hub II updates

Comment

I have an I/O Linc (2450) unit controlling/monitoring my garage and I am getting the exact same thing, 6 alerts every time the garage door opens AND every time it closes (I only have OFF notification enabled). I get the configured text message to my phone only once (using my phone's text message email address as the text alert destination) but get the push notification on my Windows 10 PC and Windows 10 mobile six times (6) in Action Center. I have sent this issues to support at insteon.com just a few minutes ago. So, if I get any helpful information, I will share it here as well (not holding my breath...).

Comment

UPDATE: After emailing Insteon support, I contacted them via phone per their instruction in the email reply. That was a complete waste of time! The offshore CSR was useless! I tried to delete my I/O Linc module and then re-add it per her instructions and then re-enabled the alert and the same thing happened. The only way to stop the alerts is to turn off alerts an every single device. That worked in stopping the multiple alerts but defeats the whole purpose of having alerts in the first place! This is my second hub (first one failed and so I had to replace it) and the first one worked for many years without and problem like this! I emailed support back today. We'll see if there is any better response...

Comment

Originally posted by zimbrich View Post
                      UPDATE: After emailing Insteon support, I contacted them via phone per their instruction in the email reply. That was a complete waste of time! The offshore CSR was useless! I tried to delete my I/O Linc module and then re-add it per her instructions and then re-enabled the alert and the same thing happened. The only way to stop the alerts is to turn off alerts an every single device. That worked in stopping the multiple alerts but defeats the whole purpose of having alerts in the first place! This is my second hub (first one failed and so I had to replace it) and the first one worked for many years without and problem like this! I emailed support back today. We'll see if there is any better response...
                      Not related to your problem but can you affirm technical support is no longer provided within North America?? Is it being provided from India / Asia?

Comment

Confirmed.Tech support was transferred to: http://www.goodbaytech.com to keep up with the volume.

Looks like they are only a few months into it so it will take a little more time before their techs are completely up to speed on everything Insteon has produced over the years.

Comment

Hi all, late to the party here but am wondering if anyone found a solution to this? Had an open/close sensor tied to a driveway alarm that has been working perfectly for years, and now I’m suddenly getting up to 15 notifications per trigger.

I’ve tried 2 different open/close sensors, 2 different iOS apps and 2 different driveway chimes and still getting over 50 push notifications every time a few deer walk down the driveway. Highly annoying when 2 phones and 3 iPads all chime away like a roomful of clocks striking the hour.

Comment

Working...
                          X