Motion Sensor Occupancy mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motion Sensor Occupancy mode

Apparently the 2nd gen motion sensor 2844-222 does not have occupancy mode capability. If it does, I am unable to find it on Device Setup in the app. This seems like something I would want to use. Is there a work around to accomplish the same thing as occupancy mode?
    I am controlling lights via a 2443-222 Micro On / Off module with three 2844-222 motion sensors spaced around the room.
    I want the lights to stay on as long as there is someone in the room (moving of course) Currently, motion turns the lights on, and the countdown timer turns them off whether or not the person remains in the room.
    If Occupancy mode were an option, I think it would solve this problem of the lights going off.

You would need an ISY (or equivalent) to program what you are trying to do.

Comment

As a work around, I would put 2 of the motion sensors in only on mode and base occupancy off 1 main sensor that faces where people sit most times. Even with an occupancy mode, once a motion sensor triggers, it'll still turn the lights off if it doesn't sense motion which is probably what's happening now.

Comment

Hmmmmm. Well I'll probably give up and go with a different system or put the manual light switches back - rather than spend $200+ for the ISY
        I wonder why they removed that function from the motion sensor. It seems like such a basic motion sensor need: turn on the lights and keep them on until motion stops.

Comment

They are working like they are supposed to. If a sensor picks up motion it turns on. Because you are using multiple sensors, if all pick up motion and 1 stops receiving then it will time out like it is supposed to at which point the lights turn out.

The problem isn't the sensor. The problem is in the way that they are being used. That's why I gave a work around. No matter the features, they will always respond that way unless you account for it.

Comment

Yes they are working they way they are supposed to. I am not saying that they are functioning improperly. I am looking for "Occupancy Mode" on the new generation sensors.

The sensors are working like they are supposed to - they turn off the responder when they time out.

What I want is for any subsequent motion to reset the timer so that they start the countdown again. This is how I understood "Occupancy mode" to work. Maybe I am misunderstanding "occupancy mode". Insteon's own description states: "With “Occupancy Mode” enabled, when the motion sensor detects motion, it will restart the countdown timer over and over again until movement is no longer detected."

Does that not sound like it would do what I want?

How am I using the sensors incorrectly? Should I expect one occupancy sensor to cover an entire, fairly complicated room? That didn't seem likely - so I used three sensors. What is wrong with that?

Comment

I am going to try your suggestion about using only one motion sensor to countdown - that does make sense.

Comment

The sensors are not aware of each other. If sensor A picks up your motion, it sends an on command. Then B and C does the same. Dues to the location of A it never picks up any more motion even though C may see you (and not time out). Since A never picks up motion again, it goes into countdown at which point it will send an off command despite C seeing you in the room.

That's where my suggestion comes into play. They all pick up motion to turn on. I'm assuming you spend the majority of time in 1 area. At which point that motion sensor will enable the lights to stay on if needed.
                Last edited by lilyoyo1; 12-27-2017, 02:39 PM.

Comment

OK - that clears it up a bit
                  thanks

Comment

You're welcome.

Comment

Working...
                    X